For many families a Nanny or an Au Pair is a well-liked alternative to nurseries or childminding, they can offer flexibility for parents looking after children in their own homes. Nannies can work on a daily basis or live in the home providing early starts and late finishes. Au Pairs live with the family, for information regarding employing an Au pair please select the following link.
Nanny and Au pairs do not have to register with OFSTED although there are benefits if they do for example registration means parents may be able to get help paying for childcare.
This link will help them to register with OFSTED and is useful information for you.
As a parent you must make sure when employing a Nanny/Au pair you do your own checks. Here are some essential points to consider.
- Do they have a DBS, Disclosure and Barring Service (previously CRB), this should not be more than three years old. For more information please visit. Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
- Ensure that candidates provide a detailed CV with a full reference list and contact details for you to follow up on.
- Take copies of certificates so that you can check they are valid, these could include their DBS, first aid and OFSTED registration if applicable.
- Are they allowed to work in the UK?
- Prepare a list of questions you want to ask prior to employing someone.
- A contract should be agreed prior to them starting employment with you.
Useful links to help you when looking for a Nanny and/or Au pairs
Wigan Council do not carry out suitability checks, we strongly recommended that you always check with providers that their service or activity meets your requirements. Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information provided in this directory, we do not accept any responsibility or liability for any errors that have occurred. There are links within the directory that take you to external websites which are not managed by Wigan Council therefore we have no control of their content. We offer an impartial service and we cannot recommend or endorse any providers listed.