In Wigan, we believe all children should feel happy, cared for, safe and ready to learn. Children are individuals, and all develop at their own pace, but as a Parent or Carer you are their greatest teacher and role model.
To prepare them for school:
- Teach & help them with their toilet training, and to wash their hands afterwards
- Reduce dummy time to bed time only
Teach them to;
- Dress themselves
- Put on their own coat
- Fasten zips & buttons
- Use a knife & fork
- Open packets and peel fruit
Children under 5 should be active for at least 3 hours a day.
- Spinning around
- Going on swings
- Crawling like a bear
- Slithering like a snake
- Rolling down hills
Play can be indoors or out – simply walking to the shops counts too. Did you know, climbing frames help develop the right muscles for writing?
Help your child build healthy relationships
- Have a regular routine to let your child know what happens next; think bath time & stories to help your child unwind for bed
- Help them recognise it’s ok to not be happy all the time, talk about being happy, sad or tired and how that feels for them
- Socialise at groups and with family and friends
- ‘Together time’ is crucial
- Show them how to share & take turns with others
Start Well Family Centres provide support and activities to help parents, carers and childcare providers give children under five the 'best start in life'. These include:
- Early education and play
- Health services
- Information and advice about children’s services
- Parenting support.
Where are they?
There are five main centres:
Each will have a timetable of sessions of what is on available and where they will take place.
Wigan Council do not carry out suitability checks, we strongly recommended that you always check with providers that their service or activity meets your requirements. Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information provided in this directory, we do not accept any responsibility or liability for any errors that have occurred. There are links within the directory that take you to external websites which are not managed by Wigan Council therefore we have no control of their content. We offer an impartial service and we cannot recommend or endorse any providers listed.