Independent Age provides an information and advice service for older people, their families and carers, focusing on social care, welfare benefits and befriending services. This is integrated with local support, including one-to-one and group befriending schemes. It also produces a number of online guides including a series of Wise Guides:
- Advice for later Life
- Extra help at home
- Healthy, happy, connected
These guides can be downloaded or a paper copy can be requested by calling general enquiries.
Making a referral
Is this service right for the older person I support?
Our friendship services are designed for those most lonely and in their later years. We talk to everyone who applies to see what they want from the service and if our service is right for them. For some older people, their health conditions may mean they struggle to access or use the service. Conditions such as significant memory loss, for example, can sometimes mean an individual struggles to build a friendship with the volunteer and may even find this distressing. Please discuss with us if you have any doubts.
The points below are here to assist you decide if our service will suit the older person you support:
- Are they an older person who is lonely?
- Do they have a health condition which could prevent them fully participating in and enjoying a friendship visit or call?
- Will they be able to remember when a visit or call will take place?
- Are they comfortable about receiving a regular call or visit from a volunteer?
- Do they know you are making this referral? Are they happy for Independent Age to contact them?
How do I contact Independent Age?
Having considered the above information, if you do wish to refer an older person into our services or have further questions about the service, please call 0800 319 6789 where an appointment will be made for Independent Age to call them and assess their needs.
Where to go
18, Avonmore Road
- W14 8RR
- Get directions