Education, learning and skills

A complete list of schools in Westminster can be found here.

School friends, drawn by Halima and Hassan, aged 8, and Toyobaa aged 7
Drawn by (left to right) Halima aged 8, Hassan aged 8, and Toyobaa aged 7
The best school or educational setting for your child depends on their needs. This section of our Local Offer explains the different types of educational provision available for children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND).

Most children with SEND will attend mainstream:

  • nurseries,
  • schools and
  • colleges or universities

The Council provides a range of specialist advisory services which support these settings to meet a child or young person's needs.

Some children may benefit from a more specialist setting, either in;

  • a specialist resource base in a mainstream nursery or school, or
  • a special school or college

If a child or young person needs a more specialist setting, they will need to have an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP).

The assessment for the EHC Plan will include consideration as to the most suitable special school or specialist resource base for them.

If a child or young person’s needs cannot be met within the borough, the Council may seek a placement in provision in other local authorities or in a school on the Secretary of State’s approved list.

This section also sets out what educational opportunities are available for young people with SEND moving on from school to college or university.

If you are looking for schools outside of the Bi-borough, please click here. 

Related Links

  1. Well at School: Information and advice to schools on supporting children with health conditions
  2. Mencap: Learning Disability Explained
  3. The National Autistic Society: UK charity for autistic people (including those with Asperger syndrome) and their families
  4. Recommended school term dates 2016 to 2017

Browse by subject

Related Advice

  1. Assessing Children with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities
  2. Types of educational setting and how they support children with special educational needs and/or disabilities
  3. Applying for and choosing schools if your child has special educational needs
  4. School SEN Policies and Information Reports
  5. What should a school do to support children/young people with medical conditions?
  6. Speech and language therapy for school aged children and young people
  7. Transferring between stages of education if your child has an EHCP
  8. SEND funding in mainstream schools: what can you expect your school to provide?
  9. Independent special institutions
  10. Educating your child at home
  11. SEND training and support for schools and settings
  12. ’Special Educational Needs Service – Home to School Travel Assistance
  13. Therapy, nursing and personal care in colleges
  14. Education Complaints and Feedback

Related Pages

  1. Education Health and Care Plans (EHCPs)
  2. Early years and childcare


  1. Grenfell Tower FAQ - Supporting children after a frightening event [PDF] 384Kb
Skip back to top of page