The Willows Primary School & Nursery Class

Who to contact

John Micklewhite
Executive Head
01635 42155
The Willows Primary School 

Where to go

Name of venue
The Willows Primary School
Venue address
Pyle Hill Greenham
RG14 7SJ

Other details

Age Range

Maintained Nursery Class Age Range from 2 to 5 years.

School Age Range from 4 to 11 years.

Vacancy details

Nursery education funding provided?

Local Offer

Last Localoffer Updated
Local Offer Description

The Willows Primary School & Nursery is a school based in the south of Newbury that has been on an incredible journey.  Originally known as ‘Greenham Court School’, the school became The Willows Primary School in 2006   Following a period of continued failure, an Executive Headteacher was appointed in 2009, and the school has continued to grow from strength to strength, going straight from ‘Special Measures’ to ‘Good’ in 2011 (only 9% of schools achieve this Nationally) and, since Ofsted 2013, is now a ‘Good with Outstanding features’ establishment.  The school continues to grow rapidly, with 411 pupils (approx) on roll.  It has now become the school of choice for the area, with the ethos being ‘Great Learning, Great Challenge, Great Fun’. There is currently provision for children from 2 years old upwards with 2 classes per year group from Nursery to Y4 and 3 combined clsases for year 5 and 6. 

Age Bands
1 to 4,
5 to 7,
7 to 11
Identification of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
1.1: How does the school identify children/young people with special educational needs and disabilities?

At The Willows Primary School & Nursery, we firmly believe that ALL children have a right to equal access to a broad, balanced and relevant education. We aim to be a school that is inclusive of all pupils for whom placement in a mainstream school is appropriate.

At some time in their school careers every child may have a special educational need, whether temporary or more permanent. This may be as a result of learning difficulties, medical problems or social, emotional and behavioural difficulties.

Under the new Special Educational Needs Code of Practice (2014), a child or young person has SEN if they have:

-       a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for them.

A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if they:

(a) have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age; or

(b) have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions.

It is the policy of The Willows Primary School to actively encourage the involvement of staff, pupils and parents in the education of children with Special Educational Needs (SEN). The difficulties, which these children may have, are assessed and provided for in a variety of ways. The children have the opportunity to develop their potential with the guidance and support of their class teacher, the SEN Leader, Learning Support Assistants, Outreach teaching staff and external support agencies. The schools aim to provide for all the needs of the child whilst encouraging integration in class and school activities.

All class teachers are responsible for the initial identification and assessment of SEN; they also have responsibility for its provision within the classroom.

Leadership of SEN provision

The member of staff designated to have oversight and a co-ordinating role with regard to SEN provision is Caroline Whittle. This teacher, in conjunction with the Executive Headteacher, will liaise with Class teachers, Teaching Assistants and External Support Services. 

The Governing Body as a whole is responsible for making provision for pupils with special educational needs.

Arrangements made for the co-ordination of SEN

The Special Educational Needs Leader, named above:

  • Undertakes a regular review of the school’s policy for SEN in collaboration with staff and Governors
  • Ensures that a register of all those with SEN in school is maintained and updated
  • Maintains and reviews the school Provision Map
  • Makes referrals to external support services where necessary
  • Supports Class Teachers in regular reviews of Supporting Achievement Plans (SAPs) written for specific children in collaboration with parents and pupils (where appropriate) Co-ordinates the Annual Reviews of Statements of Special Educational Need and Education Health & Care Plans (EHCs)
  • Prepares reports and collects together evidence (for example in a request for multi-professional assessment)
  • Purchases and co-ordinates relevant resources
  • Maintains a resource file with information regarding the nature of various Special Educational Needs
  • Liaises with Heads of School in regards to the management of Teaching Assistants and behaviour strategies
  • Liaises with the More Able/Gifted and Talented Co-ordinator.

The Class Teacher:

  • Completes a ‘Graduated Approach Plan’, shares it with their Team Leader and monitors it for one long term.  If difficulties are still present, a discussion will take place with the SEN Leader
  • Maintains a Class SEN File containing Supporting Achievement Plans (SAPs), correspondence and notes of observations made
  • Reviews SAPs regularly, in collaboration with parents, pupils (where appropriate) and with the support of the SEN Leader
  • Prepares reports for the SEN Leader in preparation for Annual Reviews and Audits
  • Supports the child in the class through targeted planning, teaching and assessing
  • Implements SAPs
  • Liases with any Teaching Assistants to ensure that the time that they spend working with the children is most productive
  • Ensures transfer of information to receiving teacher.

The Governing body:

  • Has due regard to the Code of Practice when carrying out their duties.
  • Has a named Governor who liaises with the Headteacher and SEN Leader on the day to day implementation of the Code of Practice.
  • Responds to the schools SEN funding needs appropriately, within the confines of the overall budget.

The Executive Headteacher:

  • Works closely with the Governing Body and the SEN Leader to ensure provision is made for all children with SEN.
  • Keeps an overview of the Special Needs Register.
  • With the Senior Managers, ensures that we continue to improve our practice through ongoing areas of development in the School Development Plan.

1.2: What should I do if I think my child has SEND?

At The Willows, should any issues arise, parents are involved in all discussions regarding SEN from the outset.  Parents will always be welcome to make an appointment with their Class Teacher or SEN Leader if they have any concerns about their child’s learning.  For children who are struggling, a sensitive discussion takes place between the Class Teacher/SEN Leader and parents about next steps and possible interventions. 

Support for children with special educational needs
2.1: If my child is identified as having SEND, who will oversee and plan their education programme?

The Class Teacher may initially fill in a ‘Graduated Approach Plan’ about a child and possibly discuss a plan of action/resources with the SEN Leader.  The Class Teacher will oversee and plan any interventions that are needed in order to help the child succeed and progress in their learning.  If, after a term of appropriate intervention and the child is still having difficulties, the child could be identified as having Special Educational Needs and a Supporting Achievement Plan (SAP) is drawn up.  If the child is identified as having SEN, the child is added to the Special Educational Needs Register so that their progress can be monitored more intensely by the SEN Leader and the Supporting Achievement Plan is reviewed termly by those supporting the child and discussed with parents. 

2.2: How will I be informed / consulted about the ways in which my child is being supported?

We actively ‘Assess, Plan, Do, Review’ 3 times a year in terms of data, which highlights any progress or further concerns over a child’s learning.  It is also generally the time when effectiveness of current intervention programmes are reviewed.  These will be discussed during termly Supporting Achievement Plan (SAP) meetings, followed by a meeting with the parents to discuss new targets and interventions. 

2.3: How will the school balance my child’s need for support with developing their independence?

All interventions at school are designed to teach children the strategies needed in order to develop their own independence in their learning.  Along with the SEN Leader, The Willows has a Pastoral Manager, who ensures children are supported emotionally.  The Pastoral Manager is trained in Emotional Literacy Support and Draw and Talk interventions, enabling the child to build an emotional awareness and self esteem.

2.4: How will the school match / differentiate the curriculum for my child’s needs?

If a child is identified as having SEND, an appropriate intervention may be planned in order to differentiate the curriculum and help the child progress/catch up with a Teaching Assistant.  Class Teachers will always be informed/aware of any strategies that they can use in the classroom to help cater for a child with SEND, e.g. positioning, task strips, coloured overlays etc.

2.5: What teaching strategies does the school use for children with learning difficulties, including autistic spectrum disorder, hearing impairment, visual impairment, speech and language difficulties?

At The Willows, we have a wide range of experience of SEND.  We have close links with a number of external agencies: Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) Advisory Service, Educational Psychologists (Ed Psych), Speech and Language Therapists (SaLT), Cognition and Learning Team (CaLT), Child and Adolescent Mental Health Team (CAMHs), Pre School Teacher Counsellors (PSTC), Sensory Consortium Service (SCS), Specialist Inclusion Support Service (SISS) and the Behaviour Support Team (BST).  We consult these services for advice on different teaching strategies when needed.  Depending on a child’s needs, these are some of the tools that we could use:

-       Task strips

-       Social Stories

-       Challenge packs

-       Numicon

-       Radio Aids

-       Enlarged texts

-       Coloured overlays/paper

-       Sensory integration/movement breaks

-       Fine motor skills

2.6: What additional staffing does the school provide from its own budget for children with SEND?

As well as class-based Teaching Assistants, the school currently has 2 Intervention Teaching Assistants for Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2.

Where needed, an English as an Additional Language (EAL) Teaching Assistant is used to support children’s learning and language development.

2.7: What specific intervention programmes does the school offer to children with SEND and are these delivered on a one to one basis or in small groups?
Type / TitleIntervention Type

Sensory Integration

One to one

Sensory Integration

Small group


One to one


One to one


Small group

Social Skills

Small group


One to one


Small group


One to one

Fine Motor Skills / Occupational Therapy

One to one

Fine Motor Skills / Occupational Therapy

Small group

LAL/Post LAL (Language & Literacy Unit) programme

One to one

LAL/Post LAL (Language & Literacy Unit) programme

Small group

SPRINT (Literacy Booster)

One to one

SPRINT (Literacy Booster)

Small group


Small group

Catch Up Reading

One to one

Precision Teaching

One to one

Draw and Talk

One to one
2.8: What resources and equipment does the school provide for children with SEND?

At The Willows Primary School, we are lucky enough to have a range of equipment available to pupils with SEND, such as:

- Writing slopes
- Weighted lap pads
- Alpha Smarts (Small personal computers)
- Desk screens
- Wobble cushions
- Wedge cushions
- Ergonomic pencil grips
- Coloured overlays/exercise books
- Ear defenders
- A wide range of sensory equipment, including jumping sacks, space blankets, fine motor skills equipment, swing ball, Zoom ball, Theraputty etc

This is continuously reviewed/added to, according to a child’s needs or recommendations.

2.9: What special arrangements can be made for my child when taking examinations?

Before SATs in Year 6, careful consideration is given to those who may benefit from extra time or movement breaks. An intensive assessment process is carried out and analysed, before applications for extra time is made.  Those with Statements or Education Health & Care Plans will automatically be given extra time to complete their SATs in Year 6 (if sitting SATs tests is deemed appropriate).  Any recommendations given to the school by external agencies will be taken into account, e.g. SATs papers being produced on different coloured paper or use of an Alphasmart if a child normally has access to this.

My child's progress
3.1: How will the school monitor my child’s progress and how will I be involved in this?

Assessment at The Willows takes place through Teacher Assessment (termly), Phonics Screening (Year 1), SATs (Year 2 & 6), termly Salford Testing (Reading/Comprehension), termly Hodder Testing (Spelling) and NfER Non-Verbal Reasoning (Year 4 – Cognitive Ability).  In addition to this, in the Early Years Foundation Stage, Every Child A Talker (ECAT) monitoring happens each term to highlight any delay/speech & language issues.

Parents will be informed of Teacher Assessment levels and targets at the end of each term. The SEN Leader reviews progress made by children on the SEN Register to see if interventions are still needed or make adjustments to these.

3.2: When my child’s progress is being reviewed, how will new targets be set and how will I be involved?

Following on from the termly data collection, a staff meeting is held to review any Supporting Achievement Plans (SAP).  Outcomes are discussed to see if they have been met and new ones are decided (where needed).  Some outcomes may remain similar, depending on the child’s needs.  A new SAP is written and discussed with parents and the child and, in KS1/2, both the child and parents can make a comment about their outcomes and sign their agreement to the next steps. Discussion will also take place about how school/home can work together in supporting the child. 

3.3: ln addition to the school’s normal reporting arrangements, what opportunities will there be for me to discuss my child’s progress with school staff?

Meetings to discuss reviewed SAPs will be held with the Class Teacher, separately to parent’s evenings to allow for discussion focussing on this.  Where the SAP is new, the SEN Leader will also attend to discuss any concerns/monitoring arrangements. 

3.4: What arrangements does the school have for regular home to school contact?

Parents are always welcome to make an appointment to see their child’s Class Teacher or SEN Leader if they have any concerns.  Where necessary, and depending on the child’s needs, a ‘home/school’ link book can be set up.  All parents are welcome to the weekly Friday Coffee Mornings, run by the school’s Pastoral Manager, where parents can meet each other and younger siblings can play.  Tea/coffee and toast is offered, free of charge.

3.5: How can I help support my child’s learning?

When any SAP is written/reviewed, a discussion will take place about how parents can help support their child achieve their outcomes.

3.6: Does the school offer any help for parents / carers to enable them to support their child’s learning, eg. training or learning events?

During the academic year, Learning Workshops are held for parents/carers so that they can increase their own knowledge of different methods used, thus enabling them to support their child’s learning.  Maths, Literacy, and Phonics Workshops are the usual workshops held, but others may also be offered.  In addition to this, visitors/speakers may also be invited to the weekly Friday Coffee Mornings.

3.7: How will my child’s views be sought about the help they are getting and the progress they are making?

Children who have a SAP will have a discussion with their Class Teacher about their targets and encouraged to make a written comment about this.

3.8: What accredited and non accredited courses do you offer for young people with SEND?

*Not applicable for Primary*

3.9: How does the school assess the overall effectiveness of its SEN provision and how can parents / carers and young people take part in this evaluation?

The SEN Leader, the Executive Headteacher and the SEN Governor have regular meetings to discuss data and SEN provision within the school.  For children with Statements or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC) (formerly known as Statements), annual review meetings are held to discuss the child’s progress and the views of parents/child are sought.  Similarly, parents/children are invited to comment on their child’s SAP each term.

Support for my child's overall well being
4.1: What support is available to promote the emotional and social development of children with SEND?

Where needed, children may have a course of Emotional Literacy Support (ELSA) sessions to build emotional/social awareness and self-esteem.  This is usually on a 1:1 basis, lasting 6 weeks.  Some children may benefit from Social Skills sessions in a small group to help them with things like friendships, turn-taking etc.

4.2: What support does the school put in place for children who find it difficult to conform to normal behavioural expectations and how do you support children to avoid exclusion?

Breaktimes and Lunchtimes are well staffed and some children may benefit from a ‘playtime rota’, where they have a certain friend/friends to play with on particular days, completing different activities.  For children who find it difficult to manage their own behaviour, advice is sometimes sought from the Behaviour Support Team (BST), who can advise staff accordingly in helping the child avoid exclusions.  In some cases, a ‘Meet and Greet’ with a member of staff may be necessary in order to help the child prepare for their day and settle into class.

4.3: What medical support is available in the school for children with SEND?

Where a child has medical needs, the school will seek advice from the School Community Nurse Service or Physiotherapy Team and staff will receive appropriate training.  A photo of the child and their medical needs is kept confidentially in the staffroom and each class has a copy of any child’s medical needs in their class Inclusion File.

4.4: How does the school manage the administration of medicines?

Parents fill in a medication administration form which is kept securely at the main school office.  Any medicines are also kept and administered from there.  The exception to this is Asthma Inhalers and Epi-Pens, which are kept in the relevant child’s class.  First Aid boxes are located in several places around the school and a number of staff are First Aid Qualified.

4.5: How does the school provide help with personal care where this is needed, eg. help with toileting, eating etc?

Whatever the child’s needs are, the school will seek the relevant advice in order to meet these.  Usually 1 or 2 people will be trained appropriately for personal toileting care needs.

Specialist services and expertise available at or accessed by the school
5.1: What SEN support services does the school use, eg. specialist support teachers, educational psychologists, teachers for hearing impairment and visual impairment, ASD advisory teachers, behaviour support teachers etc?

Should the need arise, we have close links with a number of external agencies: Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) Advisory Service, Educational Psychologists (Ed Psych), Speech and Language Therapists (SaLT), Cognition and Learning Team (CaLT), Child and Adolescent Mental Health Team (CAMHs), Pre School Teacher Counsellors (PSTC), Sensory Consortium Service (SCS), Specialist Inclusion Support Service (SISS) and the Behaviour Support Team (BST). 

5.2: What should I do if I think my child needs support from one of these services?

Each service has their own criteria in order for a child to be seen.  This will be available to view on their own Local Offer.

5.3: How are speech and language therapy, occupational therapy and physiotherapy services provided?


*Please see the Local Authority Guidance or talk to the SEN Leader



5.4: What should I do if I think my child needs to be seen by a speech and language therapist, occupational therapist or physiotherapist?


*Please see the Local Authority Guidance or talk to the SEN Leader



5.5: What arrangements does the school have for liaison with Children’s Social Care services?

The Executive Headteacher is the main point of contact for any liaison with Children’s Social Care service as the lead designated person.

Training of school staff in SEND
6.1: What SEND training is provided for teachers in your school?

Training is provided by the SEN Leader or other external agencies, such as the Cognition and Learning Team.

On a regular basis external training is bought in to support specific aspects of SEN whenever the need arises.

6.2: What SEND training is provided for teaching assistants and other staff in your school?

Training is provided by the SEN Leader or other external agencies, such as the Cognition and Learning Team.  A regular review of training and discussion takes place between the Executive Headteacher and the SEN Leader.

6.3: Do teachers have any specific qualifications in SEND?

The head teacher holds the National SENCO Award.

6.4: Do teaching assistants have any specific qualifications in SEND?

Some Teaching Assistants hold specific qualifications in SEND, such as the Catch Up Reading Programme and OCR Level 5 in Specific Literacy Difficulties.

Activities outside the classroom including school trips
7.1: How do you ensure children with SEND can be included in out of school activities and trips?

Depending on the level of need, trips are risk assessed and staffed accordingly.

7.2: How do you involve parents / carers in planning the support required for their child to access activities and trips?

Parents are consulted if access for a trip or activity requires more in-depth risk assessment and planning.

Accessibility of the school environment
8.1: How accessible is the building for children with mobility difficulties / wheelchair users?

Some doors in school are automatic and all doors are wide enough for wheelchair access.  The school has sloped access to outside buildings from the main school.  A lift is planned for the new classroom buildings in September 2015.

8.2: Have adaptations / improvements been made to the auditory and visual environment?

Staff wear Radio Aids for children with hearing aids.  When a Teacher is using an Interactive Whiteboard, they are encouraged to have a pale background colour for those children with dyslexic tendencies.

8.3: Are there accessible changing and toilet facilities?

There is a disabled toilet and also a shower in the main reception.  Toilets have been altered, where necessary, to accommodate for wheelchair access/toilet frames.

8.4: How do you ensure that all the school’s facilities can be accessed by children with SEND?

Some Interactive Whiteboards can move up and down, plus most classrooms have a step to enable children to reach higher.   The school also has a growing selection of iPads, Kindles and Alphasmarts for different ways of learning.

8.5: How does the school communicate with parents / carers who have a disability?

Parents are consulted about which is the best way to contact them and the school follows their preferences.

8.6: How does the school communicate with parents / carers whose first language is not English?

The school works closely with EAL Service and often an interpreter is provided or documents translated.

Preparing my child to join the school or to transfer to a new school or the next stage of education and life
9.1: What preparation will there be for both the school and my child before he or she joins the school?

Where possible, visits to the child’s current setting will be made and a transition meeting held between key staff and parents.  Additional visits to The Willows are always welcome in order to aid a smooth transition process.  Where appropriate, a Transition Photo Book will be provided to help children ‘see’ their new setting/members of staff who will be working with them.

9.2: How will my child be prepared to move on to the next stage within school, e.g. class or key stage?

When moving Key Stages, children with SEND will be offered additional visits and, where necessary, given a Transition Photo Book to have over the summer holidays.

9.3: How will my child be prepared to move on to his or her next school?

Additional visits will be offered and supported to those who would benefit from this.  These children are often encouraged to take the class camera to take photographs of their new setting/staff members.

9.4: How will you support a new school to prepare for my child?

A meeting and discussion usually takes place between the SEN Leader and the SENCo of the new school about the child’s needs.  Class Teachers can also contribute to this.  Where appropriate, the child is also invited to this meeting.

9.5: What information will be provided to my child’s new school?

Current attainment levels, history of the child’s SEND and any SAPs are provided to the new school.  Details of how to best support the child, e.g. strategies used or interventions, are also shared.

9.6: How will the school prepare my child for the transition to further education or employment?

*Not applicable for Primary*

Who can I contact to discuss my child?
10.1: Who would be my first point of contact if I want to discuss something about my child or if I am worried?

The child’s Class Teacher is usually the first point of contact for any issues or concerns.  All parents are welcome to make an appointment to see them for a discussion.

10.2: Does the school offer any specific support for parents / carers and families (such as Family Support Workers?)

The school has a Pastoral Manager who will try to offer specific support to parent/carers and families. 

10.3: What arrangements does the school have for signposting parents / carers to external agencies which can offer support, such as voluntary agencies?

If further support is required, the SEN Leader or Pastoral Manager will help support parent/carers and families in accessing other external agencies.

10.4: What arrangements does the school have for feedback from parents, including compliments and complaints?

Compliments are always welcome and are shared with school staff.  Complaints about the provision or organisation of SEN will be dealt with through the procedures outlined in the whole school complaints policy.

Last Updated

Journey Planner

Address: Pyle Hill  Greenham  Newbury  Berkshire