Long Lane Primary School

Breakfast Club 8.00am - 8.45am Term Time Only

After School Club 3.15pm - 6.00pm Term Time Only

Who to contact

Sarah Sarsfield
School Business Manager
0118 942 7187
Long Lane Primary School 

Where to go

Venue address
Long Lane Tilehurst
RG31 6YG

Other details

£3.50 Breakfast Club
£8.00 After School Club per full session
Other Costs
The cost includes Breakfast and a snack at After School Club
Age Range
From 4 years months to 11 years months


Opening Times
Monday to Friday : 8.00am - 8.45amMonday to Friday : 3.15pm - 6.00pm
School pickup
Long Lane Primary School
When is childcare available?
3 Hours Or More Per Day

Special provisions

Wheelchair access
Cultural provisions
Special diets
Special needs access

Vacancy details

Immediate vacancies?
Nursery education funding provided?
Other information
Spaces available in Breakfast and After School Club for ages 4 - 11
Vacancy range(s)
From 4 years to 11 years (spaces available = 10)
Vacancy Information Last Updated Date

30 Hours Extended Entitlement

Intending to provide 30 hours entitlement
Registered to provide 30 hours entitlement

Local Offer

Last Localoffer Updated
Local Offer Description

Long Lane Summary and Vision:

Long Lane Primary is a Community School, built in 1966 and maintained by West Berkshire Council. There are around 206 children on roll who are taught in six classes. We invest heavily in Teaching Assistants, who support the work of whole classes, small groups, and individual children. We have a large playing field and three hard surface playgrounds, a memorial garden and an outdoor learning environment which serves the needs of the Reception children.

Teaching is class based and children are grouped within their classes for Maths and English. Children are given homework on a regular basis.

Long Lane Primary School’s Vision statement:

At the end of their time at Long Lane Primary School, all our children will take with them a love of learning by having:

  • a high standard of core academic knowledge and skills
  • the ability and desire to build on their knowledge and skills
  • a strong set of practical, social and emotional life skills
  • a sense of personal achievement
  • a sense of personal pride in themselves, their school and their community.

To achieve this, we will

  • develop successful learners who are confident, inquisitive and independent
  • create a culture of learning and discovery that is stimulating and enjoyable for both children and staff
  • ensure our staff work together expertly and enthusiastically to deliver our curriculum in a safe, caring and positive environment.
Age Bands
5 to 7,
7 to 11
SEND Provision Type
Moderate Learning Difficulties
Identification of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
1.1: How does the school identify children/young people with special educational needs and disabilities?

A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for them. A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if they:

(a) have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age; or

(b) have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age

 (Special Needs Code of Practice 2014)

Children with SEN may be initially identified in a range of ways:

  • Class teacher observations or findings
  • Parental concerns, observations or findings
  • Whole school monitoring carried out by middle and senior leadership
  • The school assessment cycle of core subjects
  • West Berkshire assessment pack for Literacy or Maths.

1.2: What should I do if I think my child has SEND?

In the majority of cases, approaching your child’s class teacher for a discussion would be the first course of action.  You could also contact the school’s Special Educational Needs co-ordinator (SENco) although the class teacher is likely to pass on your concerns. This could be a quick chat at the end of the day, or you could request a meeting to be arranged at a mutually convenient time via the school office. You may also wish to approach your GP or Healthcare professional if you feel that would be more appropriate.

Support for children with special educational needs
2.1: If my child is identified as having SEND, who will oversee and plan their education programme?

The class teacher will oversee the plan of education. Support is planned and reviewed by the class teacher, in collaboration with parents and, where possible, the pupil themselves. When a special educational need is identified, your class teacher will take suitable action to support this need by providing high quality differentiated teaching. If appropriate, the teacher may put an evidence-based intervention in place. Interventions have a set of criteria to meet to decide if they are suitable. Reviews of the progress made and adaptations to the support provided will take place as required, these reviews will be shared with you. The class teacher will be supported by the SENCo throughout this process.

2.2: How will I be informed / consulted about the ways in which my child is being supported?

In addition to the termly parent’s meeting, the class teacher will discuss the ways in which your child is being supported with you. This may be formal or informal written or verbal communication. You are encouraged to offer your views, suggest ideas or ask questions.  The class teacher will write a Support and Achievement Plan, which will indicate the ways in which your child is being supported, which you will be given a copy of. 

2.3: How will the school balance my child’s need for support with developing their independence?

Part of your child’s Support and Achievement Plan may include strategies to improve their independence such as providing reminders or resources in daily class teaching. When teaching assistants are supporting children with SEN they encourage children to use independence strategies.

2.4: How will the school match / differentiate the curriculum for my child’s needs?

Your child’s teacher will use their knowledge of your child coupled with their assessments to support your child in accessing the curriculum.

This could be by:

  • Using teaching techniques (such as simplifying the language, providing thinking time etc)
  • Providing resources (such as supportive cues or reminders or providing alternative methods of recording)
  • Organising the classroom (timetable of the day displayed, seating arrangements, change the background colour of the interactive whiteboard etc.)
  • Setting work at an appropriate level

2.5: What teaching strategies does the school use for children with learning difficulties, including autistic spectrum disorder, hearing impairment, visual impairment, speech and language difficulties?

The school will draw on a range of strategies to support individual need. Often teaching strategies are suggested by an external professional as part of their reports. If this is the case, these strategies will be outlined on the Support and Achievement Plan and implemented in the classroom.

2.6: What additional staffing does the school provide from its own budget for children with SEND?

For every class we provide a teaching assistant for an amount of time to assist the teacher in providing support for children with SEN. We also employ Higher Level Teaching Assistants (HLTA) and trained Emotional Literacy Support Assistants (ELSA).

2.7: What specific intervention programmes does the school offer to children with SEND and are these delivered on a one to one basis or in small groups?
Type / TitleIntervention Type
Catch Up One to one
SNAP One to one
SPRINT One to one
Breaking Barriers One to one
2.8: What resources and equipment does the school provide for children with SEND?

Additional resources may be provided following specialist advice such as resources to address sensory processing difficulties. Children will be given access to specialist resources based on the individual needs of the children for example, sloping surfaces, pencil grips, ACE dictionaries, coloured overlays etc

2.9: What special arrangements can be made for my child when taking examinations?

Access arrangements are made in line with criteria set out by the DfE. Decisions will be made by the class teacher and deputy head based on the individual needs of the children.

My child's progress
3.1: How will the school monitor my child’s progress and how will I be involved in this?

The class teacher undertakes regular assessment of children’s progress. This is based on a combination of observations of children, questioning, monitoring independent work, tests and feedback. If your child is undertaking an intervention, they will be assessed before and after the intervention period, which will indicate the amount of progress that has been made. In addition, some children may complete the SENCO assessment pack in literacy or numeracy at 3 points in the year and carry out standardised assessments on a termly basis. Again this will show the amount of progress that has been made and indicate the next steps for development. Your class teacher will explain the progress your child is making at each of the two parent consultation meetings per year and in their end of year report. The success of the Support and Achievement Plan and the next steps to be taken will be discussed with you and your input welcomed.

3.2: When my child’s progress is being reviewed, how will new targets be set and how will I be involved?

At the review meeting of your child’s Support and Achievement Plan your child’s teacher will have prepared a draft set of new targets ready for the next plan. At the meeting, these targets will be refined and confirmed with your input. If you child has an EHC pla they will also be invited to take part in an annual review.

3.3: ln addition to the school’s normal reporting arrangements, what opportunities will there be for me to discuss my child’s progress with school staff?

Your child’s Support and Achievement Plan will be discussed with you once per term in a meeting. This may take place in an extended parental consultation meeting, or take place after school at another time. The class teacher may approach you at other points in the year to discuss progress through an informal conversation after school or you may approach the teacher yourself or via the school office.

Parents are also encouraged to visit their child’s class and look through exercise books at our “Welcome Time” events. This is another opportunity for you to see the progress that is being made. 

3.4: What arrangements does the school have for regular home to school contact?

Normal school to home contact includes monthly newsletters, termly team letters, weekly learning newsletters, reading diaries and we also have a twitter feed that is updated regularly with things going on at school.  When appropriate, an individual home to school contact book or arrangement could be put in place. For example in cases of raising self-esteem or monitoring behaviour, a chart, note home or contact book may be used.  These strategies will be used if it directly links to the needs of the child and is offered by the class teacher.

3.5: How can I help support my child’s learning?

We would expect you to support your child’s learning by hearing your child read every day or reading to your child, supporting them in the completion of their shared learning, providing a quiet place for them to do their homework and practicing maths facts. Part of the Support and Achievement Plan includes practical, family friendly ideas to support learning at home. External specialists such as Speech Therapy Professionals, Paediatricians or Educational Psychologists will also include advice for how parents can support children’s learning at home in their reports.

3.6: Does the school offer any help for parents / carers to enable them to support their child’s learning, eg. training or learning events?

We try to offer a range of opportunities for parents to engage with their child’s learning. These may include special information evenings, parent workshops during the day and every year we hold a curriculum evening in July to inform parents about what each year group will be learning the following year, as well as meeting their new teachers. We may email parents with local events that are taking place, if it is relevant.

3.7: How will my child’s views be sought about the help they are getting and the progress they are making?

Recording pupil’s thoughts and opinions on what they want help with and how will be incorporated in the Support and Achievement Plan.

3.8: What accredited and non accredited courses do you offer for young people with SEND?

Not applicable.

3.9: How does the school assess the overall effectiveness of its SEN provision and how can parents / carers and young people take part in this evaluation?
  • Senco observations to monitor high quality class teaching
  • Senco/Senco assistant observations of children on the SEN register to monitor effectiveness of their SAP
  • Collecting and analysing data of the SEN cohort against peers and nationally
  • Collecting and analysing data about the progress made in each intervention
  • Parents part of reviewing SAP and the next steps, can offer their opinions about its effectiveness
  • Assess, plan, do, review cycle monitored by the class teacher
  • Senco/Senco assistant monitor SAPs
  • Senco meeting with SEN governor
  • Whole class assessment and monitoring cycle – optional SATs, teacher assessment,
  • Pupil progress meetings are held termly and data is checked half-termly
  • Raise-online data is checked for  3-yearly patterns and trends in both achievement and progress

Support for my child's overall well being
4.1: What support is available to promote the emotional and social development of children with SEND?

Supporting the emotional well being of SEN children is based on the individual needs of the child. If it is deemed appropriate we can support children with group or individual emotional literacy support (ELSA) which can address a range of needs such as making friends, feeling different, dealing with anger, coping with change and other emotional support.

In addition, the class teacher will monitor the emotional well being of SEN children and use a range of strategies in daily teaching to promote self-esteem and independence.

Please also refer to our Anti-bullying policy.

4.2: What support does the school put in place for children who find it difficult to conform to normal behavioural expectations and how do you support children to avoid exclusion?

Please refer to our Behaviour policy.

4.3: What medical support is available in the school for children with SEND?

Medical support will be dependent on the exact needs of the child at the time. Advice will be taken from professionals who are supporting the child’s needs. First Aid is available to all children and we have staff trained in administering an Epipen. 

4.4: How does the school manage the administration of medicines?

Please refer to our medicines policy.

4.5: How does the school provide help with personal care where this is needed, eg. help with toileting, eating etc?

Advice will be taken from other professionals who are supporting the child’s needs. We will look to organise specialist training if necessary.

Specialist services and expertise available at or accessed by the school
5.1: What SEN support services does the school use, eg. specialist support teachers, educational psychologists, teachers for hearing impairment and visual impairment, ASD advisory teachers, behaviour support teachers etc?

Each of the services we have access to have a set of criteria outlined by them, not the school for referrals. We can access support from the Special Needs Support Service, Children and Young Peoples Integrated Therapies (speech therapy, occupational therapy, dieticians and physiotherapy) , School Nursing Service, Teacher for Hearing Impaired or Visually impaired, Autism Spectrum Advisory Teacher, Specialist Inclusion Support Service, Children and Adolescents Mental Heath Service (CAMHS), Educational Psychologists and Behaviour Support Services. Waiting times for assessment will vary.

5.2: What should I do if I think my child needs support from one of these services?

You may wish to discuss this with your child’s teacher in the first instance; they will be able to give you an indication of whether these services may be suitable or suggest an alternative course of action. Your child’s teacher can get further advice from the SENCo as to whether your child might meet the criteria for the service. Your family doctor (GP) can also be an entry point to gain access to some of these services.

5.3: How are speech and language therapy, occupational therapy and physiotherapy services provided?

The Children and Young People Integrated Therapies Service (CYPIT) provide these services. Each of the services we have access to have a set of criteria set by them, not the school for referrals. Referrals can be made by school or through your GP.

Occupational Therapy

All children in the West of Berkshire who have a statement can be referred to the BHFT Occupational Therapy service via the SPE.  They do not need a GP referral.  We will also usually see children who are going through the statutory process or are very likely to have OT recommendations as part of their statutory plan. We will ask the GP and Paediatrician for information before they are offered an appointment. If in doubt contact the SPE for advice before you make the referral.

Children who DO NOT have a statement should be referred to the Occupational Therapy service that is part  of the Royal Berkshire Hospital service and based at The Dingley Child Development Centre in Reading. They currently require a GP/medical referral.  This is not a BHFT service.


Children in the West Berkshire LA area, with neurodevelopmental difficulties (for example cerebral palsy) can be referred to physiotherapy via the Single Point of Access. A GP referral is not required, but we will ask the GP and /or paediatrician for any relevant medical information prior to an appointment being offered. This ensures that any medical issues that may be having an effect on the child’s development can be investigated prior to Physiotherapy involvement .We do not accept referrals for children with musculoskeletal issues/joint pain/fractures/following acute injury. Again-if in doubt, please contact the SPE before making a referral.

All referrals, to any of the services, require parental consent.

The  CYPIT Toolkit information is open to everyone. 

Speech and Language Therapy

Changes to our Speech and Language Therapy Service across Berkshire will be introduced from 1 September 2014. Changes to Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy and Dietetics will follow sometime after this. Children who are of pre-school age (birth to end of nursery) will be able to access the Speech and Language Therapy Service by either calling the Berkshire Healthcare Health Hub on 0844 406 0979 or by attending a local drop in clinic.

-Drop in clinics for pre-school children

Drop in clinics will be advertised widely and run frequently at local Children’s Centres. They will provide an opportunity for family and carers to discuss their hopes and concerns for their child and for a brief assessment of the child’s speech, language and communication skills by a speech and language therapist. If it is agreed that speech and language intervention is needed then they will be offered the appropriate support. This will vary according to the child and families’ individual needs and may include parent workshops, group and/or one-to-one intervention, nursery visits and sessions to demonstrate strategies to carers. 

-School age children

Children who are of school age (reception class or above) will be able to access speech and language therapy within their school.  They will no longer need to attend appointments at community clinics.

Each school will have a named speech and language therapist, who will be able to provide a flexible, integrated and holistic service to the school.  The therapist will take in to account the learning environments of the children and provide targeted advice and strategies to teaching staff to support the development of speech, language and communication within the school.

The speech and language therapist will work alongside school staff to use a range of approaches within the school, which may involve discussion with school and family, assessment, training and demonstration, advice, direct therapy and/or joint target setting. 

All of these changes support the SEND Reforms in that they enable the wider workforce to support children with special educational needs at every level; resulting in an equitable, accessible and empowering service which allows every child to achieve their full potential.

5.4: What should I do if I think my child needs to be seen by a speech and language therapist, occupational therapist or physiotherapist?

The Children and Young People Integrated Therapies Service (CYPIT) provide these services. Each of the services we have access to have a set of criteria set by them, not the school for referrals. Referrals can be made by school or through your GP.

5.5: What arrangements does the school have for liaison with Children’s Social Care services?

The school has direct contact with West Berkshire Social Services through telephone and email contact. The school regularly contacts the duty officer and attends meetings with social workers. The newly formed ‘Help for families’ pathway includes a referral system which the family is involved in. Families can also contact them directly: helpforfamilies@westberks.gov.uk  01635 503090

Training of school staff in SEND
6.1: What SEND training is provided for teachers in your school?

Teachers are trained in providing differentiated approaches and learning arrangements as part of high quality, personalised teaching. Whole school training which takes place in staff meetings or INSET days can include additional training on supporting a range of SEN in the classroom. This training is based on the monitoring and analysis of data to address current needs. The school receive expert support from the Special Needs Support Team on a regular basis. If appropriate, some teachers will receive specialised training from professionals such as the Autism Spectrum Advisory Teacher or Cognition and Learning Team if this meets the need of a child in their class.  

6.2: What SEND training is provided for teaching assistants and other staff in your school?

We have teaching assistants that are trained to deliver specific interventions. Some teaching assistants receive specialised training from professionals such as the Autism Spectrum Advisory Teacher, Specialist Inclusion Support Service or Cognition and Learning Team to implement individual programmes.

6.3: Do teachers have any specific qualifications in SEND?

We have members of the teaching staff that are specifically trained in delivering the Numicon: Close the Gaps Intervention and Wave 3 FFT (SPRINT) intervention. The SENCo has PGCert SENCo acreditiation.

6.4: Do teaching assistants have any specific qualifications in SEND?

We have members of the support staff that are specifically trained in delivering the Numicon: Close the Gaps Intervention and Wave 3 FFT (SPRINT) intervention but they we do not have any support staff members currently with qualifications in SEND.

Activities outside the classroom including school trips
7.1: How do you ensure children with SEND can be included in out of school activities and trips?

The school undertakes risk assessments and uses this to plan appropriately for school visits. Advice will be sought from parents, pupils and outside agencies as appropriate.

7.2: How do you involve parents / carers in planning the support required for their child to access activities and trips?

The school would involve parents in discussions prior to the visit, especially for residential visits, to share information on strategies that work at home, food preferences, daily routines etc. A more detailed risk assessment would then be carried out to ensure accessibility eg reducing the timetable.

Accessibility of the school environment
8.1: How accessible is the building for children with mobility difficulties / wheelchair users?

The school recently modified our building to improve access, including widening doorways, fitting automatic doors into the reception area,  height of door handles, levelling flooring and automatic lighting (in some parts of the school). Ramps are in place for both the ‘rollalong’ classrooms.

The school will continue to take account of the needs of pupils and visitors with physical difficulties and sensory impairments when planning and undertaking future improvements and refurbishments of the site and premises, such as improved access, lighting, acoustic treatments and colour schemes and more accessible facilities and fittings.

8.2: Have adaptations / improvements been made to the auditory and visual environment?

The recently refurbished environment meets the current DDA regulations.  No specific adaptations were carried out to the auditory or visual environment.

8.3: Are there accessible changing and toilet facilities?

The school has three accessible toilets for disabled adults and children. These are located in the main building and the two ‘rollalong’ classrooms.

8.4: How do you ensure that all the school’s facilities can be accessed by children with SEND?

Outside access to the school field and top playground is via a tarmac slope and all steps around the school site have painted edges. Our steps up to the playground have a handrail.

Internal access is all on one level and the floor throughout the school is level.

8.5: How does the school communicate with parents / carers who have a disability?

The school uses a range of communication tools. These include sending emails, texts, social media (twitter), face to face meetings, telephone calls, sending paper copies with children and the school website. Alternative text formats are available when required or requested.

8.6: How does the school communicate with parents / carers whose first language is not English?

As part of these activities the school will make itself aware of local services, including those provided through the LA, for providing information in alternative formats when required or requested.

Preparing my child to join the school or to transfer to a new school or the next stage of education and life
9.1: What preparation will there be for both the school and my child before he or she joins the school?

We normally carry out several transitional activities. These include the class teacher visiting the previous setting, children spending a morning in their new classroom with their new teacher and new parents’ meeting that include the children.

Depending on the needs of the child, if they would personally benefit from additional preparation for attending school we can put into place a transition plan. This might take the form of an extra visit or photographs of important information such as which adults are going to be in class, what the classroom looks like etc. This will be tailored to the personal requirements of the child.

9.2: How will my child be prepared to move on to the next stage within school, e.g. class or key stage?

All children take part in sessions with their new teacher before the new year begins towards the end of the summer term. Depending on the needs of the child, if they would personally benefit from additional preparation for making transition into another class or key stage, we can put into place a transition plan. This might take the form of regular visits to the new classroom or teacher in the weeks preceding the transition. Photographs of important information such as which adults are going to be supporting them in class or where to put your bag etc. can be arranged. The plan will be tailored to the personal requirements of the child.

9.3: How will my child be prepared to move on to his or her next school?

In addition to the transition visits from Year 7 staff and days in the new school, we use PSHE lessons to talk about and prepare for change. In addition, ELSA sessions may be required in a small group or on an individual basis to help children prepare. This will be based on whether this is appropriate for the child and their views will be taken into account.

9.4: How will you support a new school to prepare for my child?

When children are moving onto Year 7, the Year 7 leader and Secondary school SENCO will liaise with Class Teachers and the Long Lane SENCO. We will discuss the needs of the child and plan the appropriate steps to ensure a smooth transition. In some cases the Year 6 teacher, Year 7 representative and parents will have a transition meeting together during the last term of Year 6 to ensure all parties are involved and a transition plan is created.

9.5: What information will be provided to my child’s new school?

We will provide all appropriate and relevant records and information.

9.6: How will the school prepare my child for the transition to further education or employment?

Not applicable.

Who can I contact to discuss my child?
10.1: Who would be my first point of contact if I want to discuss something about my child or if I am worried?

The first point of contact if you wish to discuss something about your child is your child’s Class Teacher.

10.2: Does the school offer any specific support for parents / carers and families (such as Family Support Workers?)

Although the school does not have a Family Support Worker we do have trained TAs (ELSAs) who work with children who can be contacted in the first instance. They may be able to signpost or re-direct you to appropriate support such as the Parent Partnership website and local Children’s Centre, which is at Downsway Primary School, Tilehurst.

10.3: What arrangements does the school have for signposting parents / carers to external agencies which can offer support, such as voluntary agencies?

Please visit our website to find a list of local support available for many aspects of parenting.

Please visit the websites Help for Families and Parent Partnership for links to further support. These are also available on the school’s noticeboard.

10.4: What arrangements does the school have for feedback from parents, including compliments and complaints?

When support has worked well it is important to share positive feedback with staff. This can improve provision and outcomes for other children as well as your own child. Parental feedback is also sought using questionnaires and “Parent View”. Should there be a need for complaint, please follow the link to the complaints policy. (Please refer to our Complaints policy)

Last Updated