Shropshire Wheelchair and Posture Service
The NHS Shropshire Wheelchair and Posture Service cover the whole of the county, serving both Telford and Wrekin PCT and Shropshire County PCT.
This service provides for the basic mobility needs for people of all ages with permanent disabilities. Referrals are accepted from trained Accredited Referrers on the designated form available from the service.
Issue of wheelchairs: Manual wheelchairs are sometimes issued from the information contained on the referral form, but often more detailed assessments are carried out. If a powered wheelchair is required, a home visit and a clinic visit will be arranged.
Wheelchairs provided by the service include:
- a range of manual wheelchairs
- short term service for occasional users
- lighter weight wheelchairs for carers with a disability
- active user wheelchairs
Powered wheelchairs are provided following an assessment for clients who meet the eligibility guidelines.
Three basic types of powered wheelchair are supplied:
- indoor occupant operated powered wheelchair suitable for home and garden but not on the pavement, road or in shopping centres
- outdoor attendant operated wheelchair, which are issued to carers who cannot push a manual wheelchair due to disability or illness
- indoor/outdoor occupant operated powered wheelchair
Voucher Scheme: This scheme offers the opportunity to purchase an alternative wheelchair using a voucher valued at the cost of the NHS prescribed wheelchair. Further details can be obtained from Wheelchair and Posture Service.
Follow the website link for full information on the Shropshire Wheelchair and Posture Service.
Wheelchair Repairs: A dedicated repair service is available to ensure all equipment supplied by the NHS is safe and mechanically fit for purpose. Courtesy wheelchairs are available where wheelchairs require a workshop repair. The service is available during standard office hours and can be accessed directly by the users.
- Last Updated: