Shropshire Council website

This is the website of Shropshire Council

Contact information



0345 678 9000

Postal Address

Shropshire Council
Abbey Foregate

Top tasks



Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Please note that in light of the ongoing Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, users should take heed of the current information available from GOV.UK:

Therefore, the groups, clubs and societies listed within the Shropshire Community Directory may still be unable to meet, and there may also be a reduced service available from other local and national organisations.

For more information, please contact the individual groups or organisations listed. Stay alert and stay safe.

Adaptations to Your Home: Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG)


Shropshire Council can assist in making the home of a person with disabilities more suitable to live in and enable them to manage independently.  Assistance is available for both home owners and tenants; however, if you are a tenant of Shropshire Towns and Rural Housing you will need to contact your landlord for advice regarding adaptations (please find contact details below).

If you have a disability and need to make changes to stay in your home, then you may be able to get a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) for alterations to your property to make it easier to live there and remain as independent as possible.  The Council can assist at all stages of the grant process from identification of needs to completion of paperwork to installation of the adaptation works.

Adaptations may include:

  • Improving access to rooms and facilities (e.g. stair lifts or level access shower)
  • Installation of ramps
  • Upgrading, or in certain cases, providing a heating system suitable for your needs
  • Adapting heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use

The need for any adaptation is assessed by an Occupational Therapist (OT), who will identify any necessary and appropriate adaptations and or equipment to meet your individual requirements.  A recommendation for relocation to a more suitable property is a possibility if an officer from Private Sector Housing finds that your current home is not reasonable and or practicable to adapt.

A DFG will not affect any benefits that you are getting and depending on your household income and savings, you may be required to pay towards the cost of any works to the property.  Disabled children can get a grant without their parent’s income being assessed.

If you are struggling with your home environment and you feel that you may need adaptations to make life easier you will need to arrange an assessment by an OT by contacting the Council on 03456 789044

If you require any further information about the DFG please contact Private Sector Housing using the contact details provided.

Contact Details

Shropshire Council
The Shirehall
Abbey Foregate
01743 251810

Additional Information


Additional contact details for tenants of Shropshire Towns and Rural Housing:
Telephone:  0333 32 12 200

Page last reviewed:
Back to content
Skip to top of page