Appletree Treatment Centre
Appletree Treatment Centre provides high quality therapeautic care, therapy and education for girls and boys aged between 6 and 12 with social, emotional, mental health and associated learning difficulties.
We have worked with a number of local authorities nationwide helping them take care of the health, education and care needs of girls and boys with emotional and learning difficulties. This is usually due to early traumatic experiences.
Often our children need to return to play and role play experiences of much younger children in order to progress developmentally. Our teams are trained and supported to help them to do this in a safe, caring and appropriately stimulating environment.
We provide an alternative to a concentrated mainstream education. We keep our children in an appropriate primary school age group and away from older teenagers. By revisiting early years experiences, such as play and other expressive activities, our children can begin to build the positive relationships and gain the basic skills and confidence they need to access all aspects of the National Curriculum.
We have two DfE registered schools Appletree school and Fell House school providing full-time education and covering all areas of the National Curriculum. All class sizes are small with no more that 5/6 children per class.
The ‘Inclusive Package’ our schools provide includes:
- Providing small group work focused on overcoming gaps in learning.
- 1 to 1 support.
- Assessment by our speech and language therapist, followed up with individualised programmes of intervention and the acquisition of resources.
- Assessment by an occupational therapist, followed up with individualised programmes of interventions and the acquisition of resources.
- Outdoor and adventurous activity sessions.
- Farm based activities, such as horse riding.
- Expressive arts workshops and performances, based around music and dance.
- Development of an outside classroom area.
- Development of a forest school curriculum and delivery of this by a qualified forest school leader.
We have three homes for boys and girls aged 6 to 12 years old: Appletree is home for up to 12 children, Fell House is home for up to 8 children and Willow Bank is home for up to 5 children.
Our high staff ratios enable us to provide a structured, therapeutic, twenty-four hour programme which focuses on helping children to form positive relationships. These enable the children to increase their self-esteem, which in turn allows them to acquire the skills which they need to succeed at home and in school.
We want to help our children to learn to socialise and integrate in the community. When they are ready we support them to join local clubs which appeal to their interests. In the past these have included brownies, cadets, drama, gymnastics, majorettes, football and rock climbing. We also enjoy cinema, bowling, walking, swimming, laserquest and trips to zoos, museums, play grounds and the beach.
Who to contact
Where to go
- Venue address
- LA9 7QS
- Contact Name
- Clair Davies, Principal
- Contact Email
- Local Offer Ages
4-10 (Primary School)
11-16 (Secondary School)