Skip to main content

Youth Hostel Association (YHA) - Free 2 Night Stay

We're offering a free two-night stay with meals in our Youth Hostels in England and Wales to families struggling with financial hardship, disability, long-term illness, bereavement, homelessness or other challenging circumstances, to enable them to enjoy quality family time.

Benefits of the Youth Hostel Association

YHA recognises the benefits of time away from the normal home environment in strengthening relationships and believes family time is the cornerstone of children’s happiness and wellbeing.

We've found families struggling with bereavement, homelessness or long-term disability and illness often struggle with financial hardship that limit their ability to take a break, at a time when they need it most to make happy memories, build bonds, and heal emotional scars.

Up to two adults and their children can apply to the Family Breaks programme for a short break.

How to apply for the break service?

The break you are applying for must make a significant difference to the child or young person’s life so please tell us as much as you can about why this will make a real difference. To be eligible the child or young person must be between the ages of 2 and 18 (up to 19th birthday) and meet at least 2 of the following criteria. In crisis and emergency situations we may consider applications for 0 to 2 year olds (please contact the Breaks Team)

  • Is disabled or has a life limiting or threatening condition (please refer to our disability guidance)
  • Experienced homelessness or are living in temporary accommodation
  • Witnessed or experienced domestic violence
  • Have experienced bereavement (either the loss of a parent or sibling)
  • Is a young carer
  • Is a sibling of a disabled child or a child who has a life limiting or threatening condition
  • Lives in an area of deprivation (please refer to our guidance map)
  • Has an annual household income below £25,000 (gross)

Please see our guidance notes on our website (external link).

Who to contact


Back to top