Skip to main content

Discretionary Crisis Fund

The Discretionary Crisis Fund (DCF) is a fund of last resort to help people who find themselves in a crisis.

Practitioners please log in for further details.

How it works

If you're eligible for support, the kind of support you'll receive will depend on your circumstances. 

If you receive help, it will be in the form of goods. You will not receive a cash payment.

To read the frequently asked questions about the scheme and who can apply visit the Rochdale Borough Council website (external link).

How to apply

You need to be over 16 years old to apply and living in the borough or have accepted a firm offer of accommodation in the borough. You will also need to be claiming a benefit.

If you’re in work and claiming a benefit, for example Housing Benefit or Working Tax Credits, you can still apply to the fund.

You can use any of the following methods to apply for an award from the Discretionary Crisis Fund.

To apply online please see the Rochdale Borough Council website (external link) - Get free internet access at your local library.

Alternatively use the phones for free at one of the following customer information points:

  • Number One Riverside, Smith Street, Rochdale OL16 1XU
  • Middleton Library, Long Street, Middleton M24 6DU
  • Heywood Library, Church Street, Heywood OL10 1LL
  • Milnrow Library, Newhey Road, Milnrow OL16 3PS
  • Littleborough Library, Hare Hill Park, Littleborough OL15 9HE
  • Balderstone Library, Balderstone Park, Rochdale OL11 2HD

Who the fund helps

The fund is limited, so we can only help people in a crisis who do not have the means to help themselves; for example the Discretionary Crisis Fund supports people who:

  • Are leaving care, temporary accommodation or prison and need help to resettle in to the community.
  • Are in crisis after fleeing domestic abuse.
  • Do not have the means to heat their home.
  • Need to make an emergency journey such as attend a hospital appointment.

What to do if you are unhappy with the decision

If you're not happy with the decision made on your application you can ask us to review it. You must request this review in writing within 5 working days of you being notified of the initial decision:​

Post: NESU, PO Box 1007, Billingham, TS19 1UN

Who to contact

01706 532222

Time / Date Details

When is it on
Monday to Friday 8.30am to 4.45pm
Back to top