Skip to main content

Preparing for Adulthood - Post 16

Preparation for adulthood should start from the earliest years. The SEND Code of Practice outlines the importance of discussing preparation for adulthood with young people from age 14 (year 9). However where possible these discussions should take place at an earlier age.

Outcomes - SEND Code of Practice

The outcomes are set out in chapter 8 of the SEND Code of Practice and are about preparing for

  • Higher education or employment
  • Independent living
  • Participation in society, having friends and contributing to the local community
  • Being as healthy as possible in adult life

The year 9 annual review should build on work already started and plan for a young person’s next steps. It should focus on their aspirations, interests and needs. Every review that takes place after this should build on the discussions about what happens after leaving school. The should include education, social care and health taking into consideration all transition points. Relevant professionals such as health or social care should attend the reviews.

Careers advice

Where a young person has an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP) the commissioned service for Rochdale, Positive Steps will work with young people generally in year 11 to discuss education and training options related to a young person’s aspirations. 

Where a young person does not have an EHCP the school is responsible for providing careers advice.  This will also look at options for education, training and employment.

Please contact the EHC Assessment and Review Team for further information.

Education, training and employment

Until the age of 18 a young person will need to

  • Stay in full time education, for example in a school, college or training provider
  • Start an Apprenticeship or traineeship
  • Spend 20 hours or more a week working or volunteering, while in part-time education or training.

For further information, advice and support please see services below:

Support services

There are a number of services that can support young people to make the transition from school to college or from children’s services to adult’s services. Please see below:


What are my options after year 11 (post 16)?

For those young people in year 11 what are the options when you finish school?  All young people need to remain in education or training until the age of 18.  It could be one of the following:

  • Apprenticeships 
  • Attending another school with a sixth form including special school (there may be entry criteria)
  • Further Education College
  • Remaining in your current school where there is a sixth form
  • Sixth Form College
  • Specialist Post 16 Institution
  • Traineeships
  • Work or volunteering as long at it is 20 hours a week while in part-time education or training.

Rochdale Post 16 providers

Further Education College:

  • Hopwood Hall College -Rochdale Campus – Entry 1 Level Courses up to Level 3, a range of vocational areas, life skills and other discreet courses.  Hopwood Hall College does not offer A levels

Sixth Form College:

School Sixth Form:

Specialist School:

Training Providers:

Specialist schools and colleges

  • For the national association of specialist colleges with details of specialist post 16 institutions (SPIs) see NATSPEC (external link).

RBC Transitions Policy

This policy is a reference guide equally for children, young people their parents, carers and professionals outlining the vision, principles, roles and responsibilities of all agencies involved in the transition planning process for young people. 

Transitions Policy on RBC Policy Centre (751KB pdf)

NHS Services near you

Find services by district

Back to top