Skip to main content

Childcare contracts and complaints

Before your child can attend a childcare setting, you will need to sign a contract. Signing a contract with a childcare provider is a legally binding document.

Childcare contracts

Before signing any contract, make sure you have read the terms and conditions and fully understand the content of the contract. You should receive a copy from the provider at the time you have signed it.

If you make a verbal agreement with the provider to reserve a place at a future date, you may be asked to pay a retainer fee to secure your childs place. In these circumstances make sure you obtain written notification from the provider that you are securing the place.

Childcare complaints

Sometimes parents and other people with an interest in childcare have complaints or concerns about the quality of a registered childcare service or childminder. There are ways for you to address any complaints and concerns.

Tell the childcare provider

Unless you think children are at risk of harm from the childcare provider, it is usually best if you discuss your concerns with the person in charge.

If you are a parent or carer and cannot sort out your concern through discussion, you can make a formal complaint in writing to the provider. The law says providers must have a process for handling written complaints. Home childcarers do not need to have this process.

Tell Rochdale Family Infomation Service

If you are unable to resolve the issue with your childcare provider you can contact us. We will also look into concerns about people providing childcare who are not registered with us as a childcare provider.

Email -

Telephone - 01706 719900

Dial 999, if you think a child is in immediate danger.

Last Updated: 25/05/2022
Back to top