What do we do?
SOS!SEN is a national charity aiming to empower parents and carers of children with SEN to tackle successfully themselves the difficulties they face when battling for their children’s rights.
We concentrate on helping people to find their way through the legal and bureaucratic maze that is so daunting to so many.
To empower parents and carers we provide a free and friendly service including:
- a telephone Helpline 5 days per week
- monthly drop in advice centres in some areas
- information sheets on many topics
We also offer small ‘hands-on’ one-day Workshops to help parents prepare appeals to the SEN Tribunal. These can be supplemented with follow-up Progress Sessions. Under very exceptional circumstances we may take over a case and act as a representative.
We offer advice on:
- getting the right help for your child
- dealing with the school or local authority
- interpreting official letters
- getting a statement for your child
- finding independent expert professional advice
- appealing to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal
PLEASE NOTE: The helpline, advice centres and workshops operate during term time only.