Search for specific information

Occupational Therapy (OT) in the home/Disabled Facilities Grant

Children and Young People Disability Service logo

RBWM Children and Young People Disability Service provides Occupational Therapy needs assessments in the home for children and young people with disabilities aged 0-18. 

This involves carrying out an assessment of a child or young person’s needs in the home to help the child or young person to achieve their potential in every day life skills.   Some types of equipment are available through the service to ease accessibility in children's homes in terms of sleeping, bathing, toileting, seating, feeding and communicating.

Occasionally there is a need for assessment to consider an alteration to the home environment, which involves an application for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG).  The Occupational Therapist also liaises with Housing Associations regarding appropriate housing for a family's needs.

See also information about Occupational Therapy provided by health professionals in Berkshire Healthcare Foundation Trust.

Please note the referral process into the Children and Young People Disability Service for new services is through the Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) and Early Help Hub.  Please see the referral section below for details.


Who to contact

Contact Name
Occupational Therapy, Children and Young People Disability Service
01628 685878

Where to go

Service is based in the Town Hall
St Ives Road



Other details

Referral required?
Age Range
Related Links
Occupational Therapy (Berkshire Healthcare Foundation Trust)

Local Offer

What are the eligibility criteria for your service?
Access to Occupational Therapy depends on an assessment of need carried out by the Children and Young People Disability Service. Please see the eligibility criteria under 'useful documents' to the right of this page.
How are referrals/applications made to your service?
If you would like to make a new referral for services, please contact the Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) and Early Help Hub on 01628 683150 or email

Families who are receiving ongoing services from the Children and Young People Disability Service can also continue to contact their worker directly on 01628 685878 or email

The service operates from 8.45-5.15 Mondays to Thursdays and 8.45-4.45 on Fridays. Outside these hours the Emergency Duty Team (EDT) provides an emergency social work service to help with any personal or family problems that reach a crisis during the night, at weekends or bank holidays which can't wait until the next day. EDT can be contacted on 01344 786543. If you consider a child is in immediate danger, phone Police emergency number on 999.
Who provides / funds your service?
Local Authority
Are children, young people, parents / carers charged for your service?
Feedback and complaints procedure
Any feedback or complaints are managed under RBWM's Complaint policy for Children’s Social Care. This is available at the following on the Council website.
Click here
You can also call on 01628 685878 or email for details of the complaints process.
How will I know my child/ young person will be safe using this service?
All staff within the Children and Young People Disability Service have an enhanced DBS (previously known as CRB) check. All staff also undertake targeted safeguarding children training, which is updated on a regular basis.
Local Offer Age Bands
0-5, 5-11, 11-16, Preparing for Adulthood
SEN Provision Type
Supporting people with
  • Autism
  • Hearing impairment
  • Medical needs
  • Moderate learning difficulties
  • Physical disabilities
  • Profound and multiple learning difficulties
  • Severe learning difficulties
  • Specific learning difficulties
  • Visual Impairment
Last Updated

You are texting details about Occupational Therapy (OT) in the home/Disabled Facilities Grant