Edwalton Primary School | Nottinghamshire Help Yourself Skip to main content

Edwalton Primary School

Edwalton Primary School is a mainstream setting for pupils aged 5-11, with two classes per year group. We are part of the Flying High Academy Trust.

We believe that to expect school to be a happy, purposeful place purely by chance is unrealistic. It needs to be a positive part of school policy.... as a school we constantly strive towards encouraging every individual to feel a sense of belonging and worth, whilst displaying respect for others, tolerance and support.

Our main aim is for children to be happy and successful. For children to be happy, they need to have a good self-image, a feeling that they are valued and that they are making progress. For children to be successful, the staff have to cater for all the different aspects of a child’s development - physical, social, academic, spiritual and religious - we are concerned that each child should get the most from and contribute the most to, the society of which he/she is already a member. Each child is unique and we value their talents and interests in the manner we believe they deserve.

In order to achieve this, we strive to: 

LeafCartoon Give our children the skills of communication - listening, speaking, reading, writing and the ability to understand and use concepts through the curriculum subjects.

LeafCartoonEnable the habit of learning as opposed to being taught

LeafCartoonEnable children to develop a happy way of being together

LeafCartoon To help children to use their leisure time constructively 

Who to contact

Contact Name
Anthony Thomas / Annabel Holmes
Contact Position
Headteacher / SENCO
0115 9144221

Where to go

Edwalton Primary School
Edwalton Primary School
Wellin Lane
NG12 4AS

Other Details

Local Offer Localoffer flash icon


For details of local offer please see the answers of questions below. This offer is updated annually and is due for next review in September 2019.

Contact Name
Annabel Holmes
Contact Telephone
0115 9144221
Contact Email
Local Offer Age Bands
Primary (4-10 years)
Early Years (0-4 years)

Schools Extended Local Offer Response

1. What kinds of special educational needs does the school/setting make provision for?

Edwalton Primary School is a mainstream Primary school that aims to be as inclusive as possible and tries to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school.

There is a wide range of special educational needs for which children may need extra support. Sometimes these needs are only short term, others may continue through a child’s school life and some children may have a specific diagnosis. We use dyslexia friendly strategies in all classrooms.

The needs generally fall into one or more of the following categories; Cognition and Learning, Communication and Interaction, Behaviour, Social and Emotional and Sensory and Physical needs.

2. (For mainstream schools & maintained nurseries only) How does the school/setting know if pupils need extra help and what should I do if I think that my child may have special educational needs?

Children are identified as having SEND in 2 main ways;

All children are regularly assessed and progress is tracked and monitored. Any pupils who are falling significantly outside of the range of expected academic achievement in line with predicted performance indicators and grade boundaries, have social or emotional difficulties, are vulnerable or have specific diagnosed needs will be monitored. Some of the strategies we use to assess are included in the SEND policy and below.

Children are also assessed by outside agencies and specific diagnosis made. Where outside agencies are involved the school will work alongside them in collaboration with the family.

What should I do if I think my child has special educational needs?

Any concerns about a child’s needs should be raised through the class teachers or the SENCO:

Annabel/ Annie Holmes


3.a) How does the school/setting evaluate the effectiveness of its provision for pupils with special educational needs?

Intervention work is reviewed at least termly by the SENCO with class teachers and teaching assistants, using teacher assessments, specific test results and observations. The Teaching Assistants meet with the SENCO bi-weekly and children's individual needs are reviewed and adapted as necessary. Children with SEND are also carefully monitored at termly progress meetings with the head teacher. The head teacher, assessment coordinator and class teachers regularly monitor progress. This is reported back to the governors by the Head teacher.

Parents will be offered a chance to discuss progress each term in a parents evening or 'review meeting'. More regular meetings happen where staff and families feel necessary. Multi- agency meetings where support from other agencies is necessary will also happen as needed. A home school communication book can also be set up on a needs led basis where daily contact is needed.

3.b) How will both the school/setting and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will the school/setting help me to support their learning?

There are parents evening in Autumn and Spring Term. Targets are reviewed at these meeting for some children. Children who have been identified as having SEND support Special needs, or who arein receipt of an EHC plan, termly review meetings will be planned with the SENCO, class teacher and agencies involved will be invited along. At this meeting targets are reviewed and new ones set together. At the end of the year every child will receive an Annual Report.

3.c) What is the school's approach to teaching pupils with special educational needs?

At Edwalton the approach we take varies from child to child, and is personalised according to need. We believe in the importance of every child achieving their ‘best’ through Quality First Teaching. A child centred marking policy and feedback system allow all children to be involved in their learning. We may also use interventions to support their learning. This may be in class or away from the main curriculum teaching depending on the aim and effectiveness. Interventions may be on a one to one or a small group basis.  It may also involve use of different equipment or the adaption of the curriculum.

3.d) How will the curriculum and learning be matched to my child/young person's needs?

The curriculum may be adapted through differentiation, using prompts, adapted resources and by support from teachers and teaching assistants. In some cases specific schemes of work (including for social and emotional difficulties) and interventions will be used.

 Examples of the interventions we use include literacy interventions such as switch on reading and writing, additional phonics, 5 minute box, precision teaching, speech and language programmes, use of numicon to support maths and interventions to help with self-esteem, anxiety and managing feelings.

Children who have a special need will have the targets and strategies they are working on recorded as ‘individual targets’ on a SEN Support Plan. These targets and a review of strengths/ progress and needs will be re-evaluated termly and discussed with both the pupils and their families at review meetings. The individual targets will include strategies on how families can best support their child and what the preferred outcome will be.

A very small number of children will have exceptional needs that require the school to request support and additional funding from the Rushcliffe Family of schools or Children and Young People’s Services.

3.e) How are decisions made about the type and amount of support my child/young person will receive?

Some children will have extra help from another adult to achieve targets from their individual plan.

A few children may benefit from support and advice from other sources and specialists.

A very small number of children will have exceptional needs that require the school to request support from the West Bridgford Family of schools or Children and Young People’s Services.


  • ASN funding (additional school need). Some children will need additional support other than that normally provided by the classroom teacher. This funding comes directly into the schools budget.
  • AFN funding (additional family need). A few children may continue to give concern or may have a specific diagnosis that requires additional help. The SENCO has to put in a bid to the family of schools to access this funding and it is decided on by the family of schools SENCOs.
  • HLN funding (higher level need). Occasionally a child may have complex or more severe needs which require more consistent adult support to access the curriculum. This funding has to be applied for through the Local Authority.
  • Medical funding If a child has complex medical needs which require some form of physical intervention  we may be eligible to access this funding.
3.f) How will my child/young person be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?

We will aim to include all children in extra activities. Where necessary will work alongside families and support services to ensure children access a broad and balanced curriculum. We also aim to make sure all children are have equal access to school life including clubs, residential visits, school council and in the day to day roles and responsibilities in school.

Extra preparation and resources such as a visual timetable may be provided in order to reduce anxieties which may occur when things are different.

3.g) What support will there be for my child/young person's overall well-being?

We recognise that some children have extra emotional and social needs that need to be developed and nurtured. These needs can manifest themselves in a number of ways, including behavioural difficulties, anxiousness, and being uncommunicative. All classes deliver PSHE (Personal, Social, Health end Economic education) curriculum to support this development.

However, for those children who find aspects of this difficult we offer in-school nurture provision, run by teaching assistants such as lunchtime and playtime support through planned activities and groups. If your child still needs extra support, with your permission the SENCO will access further support through Children and Adolescent Mental Health services (CAMHs)

4. (For mainstream schools and maintained nurseries) Who is the school/setting's special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO) and what are their contact details.

The SENCO: Mrs Annabel Holmes can be contacted by phoning the school office 0115 9144221 Wednesday-Friday or emailing:




5. a) What training have staff supporting special educational needs had and what is planned?

The SENCO received 5 days of training in the last two academic years (16-18) on Emotional Health and Wellbeing and child mental health. This has been cascaded to all staff at INSET. The Senior TA in school is ELSA trained (Emotional Literacy Support Assistant) and has clinical supervision around this from Educational Psychologists. TA's are currently receiving a block of training from CAMHS on emotional health and resilience. TAs have received a variety of training through the local authority and Candleby Lane Teaching School Alliance which includes some of the following; ELKAN speech and language course for under 5 and 5-11, Switch on Reading and Writing, Autism level 2 and level 3 and PTAP; ADHD, play therapy, fun fit, attachment issues, dyslexia and MAPA. Training has also been provided by our EP and CAMHs (Children and Adolescents Mental Health) on issues such as attachment and anxiety. All staff are first aid and safeguarding trained. Both the SENCo and some TAs also attend the LA conferences. Finally the Rushcliffe Primary Behaviour Support provides training for teaching staff, TAs and Midday Supervisors on behaviour management and social and emotional issues.

Our school operates the following training programmes:

  • Flying High Trust network meetings
  • Cotgrave Candleby Lane Teaching School Network
  • The SENCO attends Local authority conferences
  • TAs also attend Local authority professional development
  • Specialist schools and Families services training.
  • The Rushcliffe Primary Behaviour Support provides training for teaching staff, TAs and
  • Midday Supervisors on behaviour management and social and emotional issues. The Educational Psychologist also provides training for example on attachment issues.
  • The family of schools a work together to train staff.
  • Individual staff also attend training to support specific needs.
5.b) What specialist services and expertise are available or accessed by the setting/school?

The SENCO at Edwalton invites and seeks advice and support from external agencies in the identification and assessment of, and provision for, SEND. The SENCO is the designated person responsible for liaising with other agencies. (see policy for more information).


6. How will equipment and facilities to support pupils with special educational needs secured? How accessible is the school/setting?

Access to the PDSS team at Fountaindale can be made through a referral for equipment needed to support a physical disability. Currently the school is all on one level with occasional steps to the outside areas. These steps and other uneven surfaces are highlighted in yellow paint. There is a disabled toilet and shower in the main school building and a disabled toilet in one of the external classrooms.

7. What are the arrangements for consulting parents of pupils with special educational needs? How will be I involved in the education of my child/young person?

We believe that children do their best when staff and parents/carers work together.  Parents/carers have a unique knowledge of their child and we encourage them to share this knowledge with the class teacher.  Parents/carers are invited to review meetings, Parents’ Evening and to contribute to their child’s Support Plan.  Information on support agencies, including the Parent support network 'Ask Us' , is available from the SENCO.  Parents/carers to receive a leaflet about Special Educational Needs at Edwalton in their admission packs which is also available on the school website.

We hold regular informal drop-in Support Forums in partnership with the school nurse; which parents can attend to discuss concerns and share ideas with other parents.

We can always be contacted for an appointment to discuss other concerns.

Parents can contact their class teacher at the beginning or the end of the day to make an appointment or by phoning or emailing the school office.

 The SENCO: Annabel Holmes can be contacted by phoning the school office or emailing:


In cases where more frequent regular contact with parents is necessary, this will be arranged based on the individual pupil’s needs. The SENCO may also signpost parents of pupils with SEN to the local authority Parent Partnership service, children’s centre and other specialist organisations where specific advice, guidance and support may be required.

If an assessment or referral indicates that a pupil has additional learning needs the parents and the pupil will always be consulted with regards to future provision. Parents are invited to attend meetings with external agencies regarding their child, and are kept up to date and consulted on any points of action drawn up in regards to the provision for their child. The school’s SEN governor may be contacted in relation to SEN matters.

8. What are the arrangements for consulting young people with SEN and involving them in their education?

Children with special needs are asked to contribute their pupil views regarding things they are good at or enjoy and things they feel they could be even better at. Children, where able, are asked to review meetings to contribute their view on the provision they are accessing and how they feel they can best be supported. Some children have additional provision from a Nurture / pastoral teaching assistant to allow time to express their views and feelings.

9. What do I do if I have a concern or complaint about the SEN provision made by the school/setting?

If a parent or carer has any concerns or complaints regarding the care or welfare of their child, an appointment can be made by them to speak to the SENCO or if the complaint is about the SENCO to speak to the head teacher, who will try to resolve any difficulties and also be able to advise on formal procedures for complaint. The head teacher and senior leadership team will aim to resolve any complaints as soon as possible.

The School complaints Policy is on the school website or available on request from the school office.


10. How does the governing body involve other organisations and services (e.g. health, social care, local authority support services and voluntary organisations) in meeting the needs of pupils with special educational needs and supporting the families of such pupils?

Governors have a responsibility to ensure children with SEND can access services by:

  • Determining school’s general policy
  • Appointing the ‘person responsible’ for Special Needs (SENCO)
  • Having regard to the Code of Practice in all decisions
  • Establishing the appropriate staffing and funding arrangements and maintain an overview of the school’s work
  • Ensuring that where the ‘responsible person’ has been informed by the LA that a pupil has special educational needs, those needs are made known to all who are likely to teach him or her
  • Ensuring that teachers in the school are aware of the importance of identifying, and providing for, those pupils with special educational needs
  • Working with the governing bodies of other schools in the area where necessary to co-ordinate special educational provision.
  • Ensuring that necessary provision including accessing other services is made for any pupil who has special educational needs and that all pupils are fully included.


11. How does the school/setting seek to signpost organisations, services etc who can provide additional support to parents/carers/young people?

Parents / Carers seeking advice if they have a concern about their child can contact the following

 Annabel Holmes school SENCO: aholmes@edwalton.notts.sch.uk  Tel: 0115 9144221

 Abbey and Lady Bay children’s Centre; Tel: 0115 9694480

 Ask Us (formerly Parent partnership) :0115 9482888 Helpline 0115 8041740 Email enquiries@ppsnotts.org.uk

 More information about the local offer available in Nottinghamshire can be found on the Nottinghamshire County Council website:


 Information for children and young people with disabilities in Nottinghamshire can also be found through Iris, which can be found within the SEND Local Offer site.



12. How will the school/setting prepare my child/young person to: i) Join the school/setting?

Transition into school is carefully managed. The SENCO and/ or a TA or Class teacher from school visit the nursery, and then the nursery visit the new setting so they can be aware how to prepare the child. Passports to facilitate a smooth transition are made where necessary with photographs. The SENCO works with nursery and Early Years outside agency to gather information necessary in order to secure funding where necessary.

ii) Transfer between phases of education (e.g. early years to primary, primary to secondary etc)?

Transition between classes is carefully managed by all the staff. At the end of each year the class teachers hold meetings with the children’s new teachers. TAs also meet, at the end of each academic year, to pass on information about targeted children. Class teachers pass on all relevant information regarding children including details of any interventions, difficulties etc.

The SENCO at Rushliffe Secondary is invited to Year 6 reviews to meet with the children and their families. We also liaise closely with the head of Year 7 and the pastoral assistant. When a child is moving to a different secondary school we would also contact and liaise with the relevant staff.

In the summer term the Key Stage 3 SENCO invites all children with SEND and those whom there are concerns about the secondary school transfer, to visit the Learning Support Centre.  Some children will also undertake extra visits to Rushcliffe School to familiarise themselves with the support available, meet staff and facilitate the transition process.

The children also produce a passport to support their transition.

Transfer forms/ booklets are completed by the SENCO/class teacher and relevant documentation is transferred indicating the child’s needs and placement on register, relevant assessments and nature of current support.







iii) Prepare for adulthood and independent living?

NA Primary Education

13. Where can I access further information?

From the school website http://edwalton.4dsite.com/ 

SEN Information Last Updated On: 09/10/2018

Find Us on Facebook

Facebook is monitored during office hours Monday - Friday, however if your enquiry is serious, urgent or involves personal details, we advise you to contact the team on 0300 500 80 80 or email: enquiries@nottscc.gov.uk

Follow Us @NottsCC


Back to top Powered by Open Objects © Open Objects Software Limited