Skip to main content

Schools and learning

Since 2013 all young people must stay in some form of education or training until they are 18 years old. 

We support early years children 2-5 years with SEND into primary school through the 'Inclusion Link Programme

You may need further information about your child starting school:

If your child has an Education, Health and Care plan then you will apply for primary school place differently through our SEN Team to ensure that your child's needs can be met.

The SEND Panel advises the Local Authority on all statutory decisions set out in the SEN Codes of Practice 2001 and 2014. Download our Special Educational Needs And Disability Panel Guidance Notes for more information.

School's Special Educational Needs information report

Every school has to publish a 'SEND information report'. It would normally be published on their website and linked into the Local Offer. The report should be reviewed annually and produced with parents. This report will tell you about their arrangements for identifying, assessing and making provision for pupils with special educational needs.

My child isn’t getting the right support at school. Who can help?

If you feel your child is not getting the right level of support or that you are not being fully involved and kept up to date with your child’s progress, you should talk about your concerns with your child’s class teacher or the school SENCO. You should then follow the settings complaints procedure.

If you need support to do this, you can seek independent advice and support:

You can also contact the North Somerset Council's Education Inclusion Service on 01934 634 854 or for further advice.


Each Local Authority in the UK has a legal requirement to ensure that all children and young people with SEND have access to the National Curriculum. All Local Authorities are required to publish an Accessibility Strategy.

Find and compare schools

You can find and compare all primary, secondary and special needs schools via GOV.UK

Back to top