What is SEND?
Welcome to London Borough of Newham’s Special Educational Needs and Disability Local Offer
Our Local Offer has been developed and will be updated regularly to help you find information about local services, support, activities and events for children who have special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).
We have separated the Local Offer into a number of sections below, please click on the specific area for more information.
This is our new Local Offer and we welcome feedback to improve the site.
If you have a specific query you can contact us by:
Tel: 020 3373 6472
Lines are open between 10-4 Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays)
We will respond to emails within 3 working days.
Children and young people with special educational needs or disability (SEND) may require additional support to achieve their potential. In the great majority of cases this can be supported from within resources available in early year’s settings, schools and colleges, this is often referred to as SEN Support.
For a small proportion of children or young people with more significant needs schools can apply for additional funding from the Local Authority or require specialist placements such as a Resource Unit or Special School. Many of these children have Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) issued by the Local Authority. This plan identified needs, provision and desired outcomes.
The advice pages below provide further details:
- SEND commission Final Report
- Best for all SEND strategy
- SEN Team Dec 2021
- Statements of SEN and EHC Plans: England 2019
- Access to speech and language therapy - June 2019
- Disability Living Allowance Online Workshop
- Guidance and process for Undertaking an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Needs assessment
- Moving home into a different Local Authority when your child has an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP)
- Ceasing to maintain an Education Health and Care Plan
- Newham Local Authority Guidance and Process for Annual Reviews
- Annual Review Report
- Ordinarily available expectations of the arrangements and support available in all mainstream educational settings
- Expectations of the arrangements and support available in all mainstream educational needs - summary
- Family Connectors
- London Borough of Newham SEND guidance for schools, parents and other agencies
- Parent-led Support Group
- SEND Facebook Group to Connect Families
- Example Personal Passport
- EYFS Transition Report
- School Transition Report
- School Transition Report Example
- Transition Year 6 to Year 7 Checklist