Short Break Services for Children with Disabilities
From 1 April 2011 we have a duty to provide short breaks for disabled children and young people. As part of this duty we have to provide a Short Break Statement so families of disabled children and young people know what services are available, the eligibility criteria for these services, and how the range of short breaks is designed to meet local needs.
Click here to view this statement.
Short breaks provide great support for disabled children, young people and their families. We can provide day care and overnight breaks for disabled children aged up to 18 years old.
Cheviot View Short Break Unit is a large, modern, purpose-built unit, fully equipped to care for children with a disability. The age range is from 6 years up to 18 years old.
- There are plenty of activities to keep children occupied within Cheviot View but there is also a mini bus for outings to interesting places.
- Each child will have an allocated worker who will get to know the child and their family and ensure needs are met during their stay.
- For more information about accessing this service you should talk to our Children with Disabilities Team .
Calvert Trust is a fully accessible 4 star Scandinavian Lodge at Kielder in Northumberland. Any family who has a child with disabilities and lives in Newcastle can go.
For more information on facilities and how to book please click here.
How do I contact the Children with Disabilities team?
You can make an appointment with a social worker by contacting our customer service point on:
- Mondays to Thursdays from 10.00 am to 12.30 pm
- Fridays from 2.00 pm to 4.30 pm.
If you contact the team outside these hours, or a social worker is not available, we will get back to you later the same day or the next day. If your child is in hospital you can contact your social work team at the hospital. If you need urgent help with social care for any child during the evening or weekends phone 0191 232 8520 and ask for the Emergency Duty Team.