Skip to main content

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) helps with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability if you’re aged 16 to 64.  Once you reach the age of 16, your Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children changes and you have to apply for Personal Independence Payment (PIP).  You will receive a letter just before your 16th birthday asking you to apply before a certain date. 



To claim for PIP you must:

  • Have had difficulties with your daily living or getting round or both for at 3 least months;
  • Expect these difficulties to carry on for 9 months (unless you are terminally ill and have less then 6 months to live);
  • Have lived in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years and be living in one of these countries when you apply

If you are not working then this will not affect you trying to claim for PIP.

Living abroad

If you live abroad, you may still be able to claim for PIP if you:

  • Need help with daily living, but live in another EU/EEA country or Switzerland 
  • Are a member of the Armed Forces  
Not a British citizen

IF you are not a British Citizen you must:

  • Show evidence that you normally live in or intend to stay in the UK
  • Not to be subject to immigration control, unless you are a sponsored immigrant

If you are a refugee or have humanitarian protection status, you may still be able to get PIP.

Terminal Illness

If you are terminally ill, you can get PIP quicker if you are not expected to live more than 6 months. 

To claim call DWP to start the process and get a DS1500 form filled out by your doctor or healthcare professional.  They will either fill this out and pass it onto you or send it to DWP themselves. 

The 'How Your Disability Affects You' form or the face-to-face conversation will not need to be done.


Types of PIP

There are 2 types of PIP.  These are Daily Living Difficulties and Mobility Difficulties.  You will be assessed by an independent healthcare professional to help the Department of Work and Pension (DWP) decide which level of help you need.

Daily Living Difficulties

To receive the Daily Living Difficulties, you will need help "more then half of the time" with the following:

  • Getting dressed and undressing;
  • Washing, bathing and using the toilet;
  • Preparing or eating food;
  • With reading and communication;
  • Engaging with other people - socialising;
  • Doing your own treatments and medication;
  • Speech, reading and understanding;
  • Handling and making money decisions
Mobility Difficulties

You may get this part of the PIP if you need help with:

  • Moving around due to a physical problem;
  • Getting around the outside of your home independently;
  • Planning and following your journey due to a learning difficulty, mental health issue or a sensory impairment


What will I get?

You can get either one or both parts of the PIP, but the amount you get depends on how much your condition affects you.

Type of PIP   Amount (weekly rate)
Daily Living Part    £55.65 or £83.10 
Mobility Part £22.00 or £58.00

If you are terminally ill, you will receive the higher daily living part if you're not going to live more than 6 months, and the mobility part will depend on your needs. 

How am I paid?

You are paid into your bank account every 4 weeks.


How to claim

If you turn 16 and were claiming the Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for Children, you will have received a letter to fill out and send back to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). 

If not, you can make new claim by calling the Department for Work and Pension on 0800 917 2222 or textphone 0800 917 7777 (call charges).  Someone else can call on your behalf, but you will need to be with them when this call is being made. 

When making a claim you will need:

  • Your details - telephone number;
  • Date of birth;
  • National Insurance number;
  • Bank or building society account number and sort code that you wish to be paid into;
  • Doctor or health worker's name, address and telephone number;
  • Any date and address for any time you have spent in a hospital or care home abroad


Other ways to claim

If using the telephone is difficult, there are other ways to make a claim.  You can claim by post, text message conversation or video call service. 



If you wish to use our postal service then please write a letter to ask for a form. However, this can delay the decision on your claim.  Send your letter to:

Personal Independence Payment New Claims
Post Handling Site B
WV99 1AH 

Text Message Service

If you have hearing or speech problems and find it difficult to communicate over the phone, you can use the Next Generation Text (NGT) service.  To use this service you will need to:

Dial 18001 then 0800 971 2222
Monday to Friday: 8.00am- 6.00pm
Cost charges

Video Call Service

If you use British Sign Language (BSL) as communication, you may prefer to use the Video Call Service.  To do this:

Monday to Friday: 08.00am-6.00pm

Help with filling out your PIP Claim form. 

If you need help filling out your PIP claim form The National Autistic Society have created a guidance sheet which gives prompts on the points based system

What happens next

  1. Once you have made a claim, you will be sent a 'How your disability affects you' form.  If you require a alternative version such as Braille, large print or audio CD then contact the PIP enquiry department either by Telephone: 0800 121 4433, Textphone: 0800 121 4493 open Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm (call charges);
  2. Use the notes that come with the form to fill it in.  If you need further help, you can read Citizen's Advice's 'Help filling in your PIP claim form';
  3. Return the form to the DWP by using the address on the form;
  4. You will either get an invite to meet with an independent health professional or they will ask your health social care worker for more information;
  5. If a meeting with a health professional is required, this will be carried out either at your home or an assessment centre and should take no longer then an hour.  This meeting is to just ask you some questions about your ability to do activities and how your conditions affect your daily life.  If you need support on preparing, you can read Citizen's Advice's 'Preparing for your PIP assessment';
  6. Once you have completed this process, DWP will decide if you are entitled to anything.  This comes via letter and if you are entitled to PIP it will tell you how much and when your next review date will be.  The review will allow you to get the correct support


I disagree with the decision

If you are unhappy with the decision, you can always challenge this with the DWP.  This is called Mandatory Reconsideration.


Circumstances change

If any of your circumstances change, you must contact the PIP enquiry line to let them know if:

  • Any of your personal details change like your name, address, doctor;
  • The help you have for your condition changes or your condition changes;
  • You are admitted into hospital or go into a care home;
  • You go abroad;
  • You have become held in detention or imprisoned

If you do not report any of these changes, you could be taken to court or have to pay a penalty.

Back to top