Skip to main content


A home carer or nanny is someone that looks after your children in your own home. Because they are looking after children in your own home they are not required to be registered with Ofsted but some choose to go on a Voluntary Childcare Register. If you go through an agency you may need to pay a finders fee.

If you arrange a nanny or home childcarer directly you become their employer. This means you become responsible for recruiting an appropriate person; carrying out a criminal record check; ensuring they are trained; agreeing terms and conditions and taking care of their pay including tax and National Insurance Contributions.

Share your feedback on this page

Please provide feedback on our website. Try to include any constructive suggestions for improvements and we will do our best to incorporate them.

Back to top