Skip to main content

How the NHS can help you and your family

The National Health Service (NHS) provides services that all residents in H&F can access.

Depending on what kind of support the child/young person with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) needs, it is possible that multiple NHS staff (health professionals) will be involved with you and your child/young person.

Health professionals in H&F work with each other to support a child/young person with complex health needs through talking to one another, sharing information and planning (together) how to achieve the best outcomes for the individual.

The local NHS Trust provides universal services for children and young people which are delivered by Health Visitors and School Nurses.

Guide to access online appointments parents carers young people [PDF]

Are you concerned about your child’s health?

If you have concerns or questions about your child’s health, please talk to your doctor, health visitor or school nurse. They can help with a wide range of health issues and any concerns you might have about your child’s development.

What are my rights?

To understand more about what you can get from the NHS, go to the Get Your Rights website. It is a new interactive website which helps to explain to children and young people their rights when using the NHS.

What kind of health support can I/my child get?

Your doctor, health visitor or school nurse may refer you to specialist health services depending on your child’s needs. For example:

>> See a list of health services for 0 - 25 year olds.

>> NHS Easy Read Flu Vaccine Poster

How do I access the services?

In the first instance, please contact your GP, health visitor or school nurse if you are concerned about your child’s health and wellbeing. They can help with a wide range of health issues, including concerns you may have about your child’s development.

On this website (the ‘Local Offer’ directory), you can search for information on local support and services. It includes information on who the service is for, how to access it and who to contact for more information. Please make sure that the service is suitable for you or your child/young person by contacting the service directly or speaking to your GP.

If you see any information that is incorrect, or have any feedback about the website, please contact us.

Access to NHS health services should be based on need only, and barriers including financial or accessibility requirements should not stop you from receiving care. Health services are legally required to make reasonable adjustments when a person has additional needs that might otherwise stop them from receiving care.

>> Find out more about asking for reasonable adjustments.

Useful websites and resources

Summer in the City

Hammersmith & Fulham Council is again working with local youth activity provider LMP Action and the Holiday Activity…Read more

Parentsactive - Celebrating 20 years together

In October 2021, Parentsactive celebrated 20 years and a book has been created to commemorate the date.  The book is a…Read more

Hammersmith and Fulham SENDIASS Update September 2021

On the 1st September 2021, Your Voice in Health and Social Care (YVHSC) will be responsible for providing and…Read more
Back to top