Free early learning for 2-year-olds
If you have a two-year-old and are on a low household income, you may be entitled to receive 15 hours free childcare a week (total 570 hours a year), 38 weeks of the year.
If you meet the qualifying criteria below, your child will become eligible from the term after their second birthday.
A child born between:
Is eligible from:
1 January - 31 March
1 April - Summer Term
1 April - 31 August
1 September - Autumn Term
1 September - 31 December
1 January - Spring Term
Who is eligible?
Two-year-olds can get free childcare if you live in England and get one of the following benefit:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Universal Credit, and your household income is £15,400 a year or less after tax, not including benefit payments
- tax credits, and your household income is £16,190 a year or less before tax
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- the Working Tax Credit 4-week run on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
Two-year-olds are also eligible for 15 hours of free early years provision if they meet one of the following:
- are looked after by a local authority
- have a statement of Special Education Needs (SEN) or an education, health and care (EHC) plan
- get Disability Living Allowance
- have left care under an adoption order, special guardianship order or a child arrangements order
If you’re a non-EEA citizen who cannot claim benefits.
If your immigration status says you have ‘no recourse to public funds’, you may still get free childcare for your 2-year-old. You must live in England and your household income must be no more than:
- £26,500 for families outside of London with one child
- £34,500 for families within London with one child
- £30,600 for families outside of London with two or more children
- £38,600 for families within London with two or more children
You cannot have more than £16,000 in savings or investments.
For more information please contact the Early Years Funding Officer: email@example.com
For more information see Help paying for childcare: Free education and childcare for 2-year-olds - GOV.UK