WHAT IS THIS PROGRAMME?
Caring Dads supports fathers to improve their relationships with their children, develop strategies to manage their frustration and find ways to reduce parental conflict. This programme is for both resident and non-resident fathers / male carers that need support to end controlling, abusive and neglectful behaviours towards their partners and children. This programme offers a unique opportunity for men to connect as fathers and develop their parenting skills through group discussion, exercises and ‘give-it-a-go’ activities to work on at home.
Length of programme: 17 weeks (2 hours per week) - usually in the evenings.
Lunch and refreshments are provided.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This programme is for fathers/male carers with children aged 1 - 16 years old. Men should have regular contact with their child (minimum – fortnightly basis) and should remain working with the referring agency (or other key agency) for the duration of the 17-week programme.
- Appreciate how different fathering styles affect children
- How to become more involved as fathers and be a positive influence to their child
- Learn about controlling abusive and neglectful attitudes and behaviours
- How to deal with frustrating situations and manage anger in a healthy way
- Rebuild trust and plan for the future
WHERE & WHEN ARE THE GROUPS DELIVERED?
Caring Dads runs twice a year (March & September) in community venues in Camden or Islington.
Refer to the parenting programme timetable for details of the next programme. www.islington.gov.uk/parentingprogrammes
HOW DO I GET ONTO THIS GROUP?
- Access to this programme is by referral only.
- Referring agencies should download the Caring Dads referral form from the Islington parenting page: www.islington.gov.uk/parentingprogrammes
- Completed referrals should be sent to email@example.com
- Please refer to the eligibility criteria prior to completing the referral form.
- The referral window for Caring Dads is open at the following times: November – February (for March group) & May – August (for September group).
Parents cannot self-refer onto this programme. If parents would like more information/ to join a Caring Dads group, they should speak to their Social Worker and ask to be referred.
WHO DO I CONTACT?
For an informal discussion or to make a referral please contact The Parenting Team firstname.lastname@example.org