Sport and Physical Activity for People Over 40 in Islington
Being active can help older people stay healthy and independent. The NHS website has information about the benefits of being healthy and activities to try.
The map shows where activity for older people and all sport and physical activity is on offer in Islington.
North London Cares offers free intergenerational clubs in Islington and Camden for anyone aged 18+. Many of these clubs offer physical activity. The activities vary but could be dancing, football and walking football, table-tennis, a led walk, and yoga.
For people aged 40+:
- Arsenal in the Community offers walking football to women aged 40+. For more information, see the leaflet to the right Arsenal in the Community - walking football for women aged 40+
For people aged 50+:
- Age UK Islington provides a selection of activities for adults of all ages (with some for people aged 50+ only), including help to find, try out and get to activities
- Arsenal in the Community offers walking football to people aged 50+. For more information, see the leaflets to the right Arsenal in the Community - walking football, Arsenal in the Community - walking football at Sobell leisure centre
- Brickworks Community Centre, 42 Crouch Hill, N4 4BY, offers chair assisted yoga
- Elizabeth House Community Centre, 2 Hurlock St, N5 1ED, offers fitness - gentle exercise
- GLL, Sobell leisure centre, Tollington Road, N7 7NY offers walking football
- Walking is an excellent form of physical activity for people aged over 50. Go to the Walking page for information about walking in Islington
For people aged 55+:
- Arsenal in the Community offers short mat bowls and fitness - strength and balance - sessions. For more information about short mat bowls, contact Mark Antoniewicz: email@example.com. For more information about fitness - strength and balance - sessions, see the leaflet to the right Arsenal in the Community - strength and balance
- The Claremont Project, 24 White Lion St, N1 9PD offers a wide variety of dance, fitness (Pilates, strengthening & balance for falls prevention), kung fu, tai chi, and yoga
- Holloway Neighbourhood Group, 84 Mayton St, N7 6QT offers elders exercise
- Walking cricket with Middlesex Cricket and the Claremont Project at ary's Community Centre, Upper Street, N1 2TX. For more information, see the leaflet to the right Walking Cricket
- Whittington Park Community Association, Yerbury Rd, N19 4RS offers gentle chair-based exercise
- Wu Shi Taiji Quan & Qi Gong Association, 20 Blackstock Road, N4 2DW, offers qi gong and tai chi for older people (age not specified) and people with a debilitating health condition. More information is also in the leaflets to the right, Sit, Stand, Walk, Talk - Tai Chi for Wellbeing flyer and release
For people aged 60+:
- GLL, Finsbury leisure centre, Norman St, EC1V 3PU offers badminton, short tennis and table tennis
- GLL, Sobell leisure centre, Tollington Road, N7 7NY offers short mat bowls, table tennis and a fitness session
- Sadler's Wells, Rosebery Avenue, EC1R 4TN offers dance (Company of Elders)
- Free swimming is on offer for people aged 60+ with a Better Adult Senior membership. This is on Monday-Friday 8.30-4.30 and weekends at the council's leisure centres with a swimming pool: Archway leisure centre, Cally Pool, Highbury Leisure Cenre and Ironmonger Row Baths
- Free swimming lessons are on offer for people aged 60+ at Highbury Leisure Centre and Ironmonger Row Baths
- Free tennis court hire is on offer for people aged 60+ with a Better Adult Senior membership. This is on Monday-Friday 8am-4pm in Highbury Fields, Rosemary Gardens and Tufnell Park Playing Fields.
People aged 66 or over can apply for Better Adult Senior membership with GLL, who run Islington’s seven leisure centres.
Sport and physical activity has full information about all the sport and physical activity on offer in Islington.
- Physical Activity and Health in Islington
- Sport and Physical Activity for People with a Disability in Islington
If you have a question about the content on this page, contact John Thorne: firstname.lastname@example.org; 020 7527 7096.