Skip to main content

Education and Learning

School admissions

Whether you are applying for a school nursery class, primary school or secondary school, the following links will guide you on how and when to apply.

See Directory of Schools in Hounslow for contact details of all schools

Read more information on school admissions at

Help with school costs

As a parent, you may be entitled to help towards school costs. This will be dependent on your circumstances. 

Examples of financial help include:

Supporting your child's education

You must make sure your child gets a full-time education that meets their needs. Find out more about:

Problems at school

If you have a problem or need to make a complaint about something that has happened at school, you will need to follow the school’s complaints procedure.  Every school in England must have a procedure and this should be published on the school’s website. It should tell you what kind of complaints the school will deal with, such as bullying or bad behaviour.

If you feel after following the schools procedure, your complaint has not been resolved, you will need to complain in writing to the school’s governing body. 

There are many websites and helplines offering advice on issues parents and children may experience at school, some of which are listed below for your convenience

  • ACE Education advice and information to give parents up to date knowledge of law and guidance as well as practical and tactical advice on how to work with their child's school to resolve any concerns.  
  • Bullying Information and advice on what Bullying is, whether in school or outside of school along with advice and support agencies to turn to.
  • Child Law Advice specialist advice and information on child, family and education law to parents, carers and young people.
  • Citizens Advice free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities
  • Family Lives national family support charity providing help and support in all aspects of family life


It is important to note that the local council does not hold a list of 'approved tutors'. We are unable to verify whether any tutor service is suitable for you to use.  Link to the  Tips on choosing a tutor to help you decide on a tutor for your child.

Parents may consider employing a private tutor for a variety of reasons:

  • to assist children with school work
  • to help them with a particular subject or skill
  • to help improve exam grades
  • learn a musical instrument
  • to study religious texts and ideas.

Tutor information within this directory will either be:

Local tutors these may have chosen to register with Ofsted on the Voluntary Register (this is not mandatory).

Tutor agencies agencies may have interviewed tutors, checked they are suitable to work with children or charged a fee for tutors to advertise on their site.

Education and training after 16

Up until the age of 18 years, all young people must be in some form of education or training however after the age of 16, this does not have to be in a school.

The education and training after 16 page can be found at 

Education, ESOL classes, training and employment for parents

Parents can get advice and support about getting and/or staying in employment from the following local providers: 

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities

All schools provide support for young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). 

This means if your child has SEND, they can usually attend their local school. 

However, children with more complex levels of need could be entitled more specialist support to achieve their full potential.

Find what special needs support you can get in schools and how to access it on the Local Offer Education pages