Skip to main content

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) Age 16 to 64 years

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) helps with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability if you’re aged 16 to 64. You can get PIP whether you’re in work or not.

How to make a new claim:

You can make a new Personal Independence Payment (PIP) claim by calling the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

Someone else can call on your behalf, but you’ll need to be with them when they call. There are also other ways to claim if you find it difficult to use a telephone.

If you are eligible then the DWP will send an form. If you can get help with completing the form. Local organisations including citizens advice and Our barn can help or there are many helplines for specific conditions that can help.

Moving from DLA to PIP

You can start the claim for your child if they are getting Disability Living Allowance (DLA), they have just turned 16 years old and they do not have the mental capacity to manage their own money.

When you call the DWP, tell them that you would like to be your child’s appointee. The DWP will arrange a meeting to:

  • Check that your child needs an appointee
  • Check that you are a suitable appointee
  • Complete the BF56 application to become an appointee

You will only become your child’s appointee if and when you receive the BF57 confirmation letter.

As long as you apply for PIP on time, your child’s DLA will continue until their PIP claim has been decided. You can find out more about what happens when you claim PIP instead of DLA in the Turn2us PIP guide 

Before you call, you’ll need:

  • your contact details, for example telephone number
  • your date of birth
  • your National Insurance number - this is on letters about tax, pensions and benefits
  • your bank or building society account number and sort code
  • your doctor or health worker’s name, address and telephone number
  • dates and addresses for any time you’ve spent abroad, in a care home or hospital

The telephone number to call is 0800 917 2222 or you can use a textphone on 0800 917 7777 from Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

Find out more on the GOV.UK website



To be eligible, you must:

> be aged 16 to 64

> have a long-term health condition or disability and difficulties with activities related to ‘daily living’ and / or mobility

> be in Great Britain when you claim - there are some exceptions, eg members and family members of the Armed Forces

> have been in Great Britain for at least 2 of the last 3 years

> be habitually resident in the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man or the Channel Islands

> not be subject to immigration control (unless you’re a sponsored immigrant)

There are some exceptions to these conditions if the child is living or coming from another EEA country or Switzerland.

Your disability or health condition

You must have a long-term health condition or disability and face difficulties with ‘daily living’ or getting around.

You must have had these difficulties for 3 months and expect them to last for at least 9 months, unless you’re terminally ill (you don’t expect to live more than 6 months).

Daily living and mobility needs

Daily living difficulties

You may get the daily living component of PIP if you need help with things like:

> preparing or eating food

> washing, bathing and using the toilet

> dressing and undressing

> reading and communicating

> managing your medicines or treatments

> making decisions about money

> engaging with other people

Mobility difficulties

You may get the mobility component of PIP if you need help going out or moving around.

Assessment & Decisions

How you’re assessed

Your claim will be assessed by an independent healthcare professional to help Department for Work and Pensions work out the level of help you need. This may be a face-to-face consultation - you’ll get a letter explaining why and where you must go.

You’ll be given a score based on how much help you need. The more help you need, the higher the score you’ll get.

The Department for Work and Pensions makes the decision about your claim based on the results of the assessment, your application and any supporting evidence you include.

Your decision

You’ll usually get a decision 3 weeks after your assessment.

You can appeal if you’re unhappy with the decision. Find out more about the appeals process on the GOV.UK website [external website].

Please note: Your rate will be regularly reassessed to make sure you’re getting the right support. Tell Department for Work and Pensions straight away if there’s a change in how your condition affects you.

What you will get

What you’ll get

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is usually paid every 4 weeks. It’s tax free and you can get it whether you’re in or out of work.

It’s made up of 2 components (parts). Whether you get one or both of these depends on how your condition affects you.

1 - The daily living component is paid at two weekly rates - the standard rate is £55.10 and the enhanced rate is £82.30.

2 - The mobility component is paid at two weekly rates - the standard rate is £21.80 and the enhanced rate is £57.45.

Terminal illness - you’ll get the enhanced daily living component if you’re not expected to live more than 6 months. The rate of mobility component depends on your needs.

Challenging a decision

There are a number of options and steps to take when you don't agree with a decision that has been made.

Turn to us have a step by step guide