Backhouse Room (Welwyn Garden City) Room for hire.
Every day 9am - 10.30pm.
Address: 116 Handside Lane, Welwyn Garden City Hertfordshire AL8 6SZ.
The Backhouse Room offers a Meeting Hall of 9m by 5m with perimeter benches, stackable chairs to seat 35 people, 10 child-size chairs, 5 folding tables, one fixed table and an upright piano. The building is particularly suitable for young children's parties, club or society meetings, or family reunions. It is not suitable for teenage parties or discos, for which bookings are not taken. It is also too small to accommodate bouncy castles. Heating is by thermostatically controlled, gas-fired, hot-air stove, enabling the room to be heated to a chosen temperature. Separate cloakrooms provide toilet and washing facilities and are electrically heated. There are also toilet facilities for wheelchair users and a baby-changing table with disposal facility.
The Backhouse Room in Handside Lane, one of the oldest buildings in Welwyn Garden City, caters for social and educational purposes. Users include: Amnesty International; church groups; dance and meditation groups; and Children's French and Music Groups. The Room at 116 Handside Lane is managed by Welwyn Garden City Quaker Meeting. This venue is a non-smoking facility.
Opening hours. Lettings are per session as below but can be more flexible:
- Food preparation room contains double sink, drainers, work surfaces
- Microwave oven and electric kettle
- There is no crockery or cutlery provided
- Ramp for wheelchair users
Costs (as at 08/01/2015):
- £30.00 per Session (significant reductions for regular bookings)
- £34.00 Children's Parties
- By Rail - Welwyn Garden City Station approx 1 mile
- By Road - A1(M) Welwyn Garden City turn approx 1 mile
- By Bus - Bus 300. Bus stop within 40 metres
- Paved car park for 10 cars
Who to contact
- Contact Name
- Mrs Vicky Woodcraft
- Contact Position
- Lettings. (Please contact via email if possible.)
01707 326109 (Weekdays 10 - 6pm ONLY)
Where to go
- The Backhouse Room.
116, Handside Lane.
Welwyn Garden City
- AL8 6SZ
- Get directions
Please note there is no letter box at this site so do not send post. Any written communications to Vicky Woodcraft, Backhouse Lettings, 106 Handside Lane. Welwyn Garden City, AL8 6SY.
Hirers are responsible for leaving the venue clean and tidy after use.
- Cost details
- Club Meetings and similar - Occasional bookings £30 per session. Reduced rates for monthly, fortnightly or weekly bookings. Private parties - Adults £40 per session. Children £34 per session
- £34 for Children's parties. Other charges vary.
- Referral required
The room is not suitable for teenage parties.