The Family Information Service is here for you!
We offer a free confidential advice line providing guidance and emotional support on any aspect of parenting and family life.
Many families may be finding current circumstances difficult and worrying. Whilst having more time together as a family can be a pleasure, the additional pressures of home schooling, managing your child’s anxiety and not seeing friends and loved ones is a challenge for us all.
We can help you….
- We have time to listen to you. Let us know what is going on for you and what is causing you concern. No worry is too small or too big for us to support you with.
- Once we fully understand your concerns we can think through together how you and your family can overcome your problems. This may involve us recommending someone else to help you, we may help you access useful websites or resources or we might agree together some practical approaches you can try and call you back to see how you got on.
- Unfortunately we are not able to offer legal, financial or medical advice but can always put you in touch with someone who can.
How to contact us….
Our service is available Mon – Fri, 9am – 5pm
- Call us free of charge on 0800 542 02 02. If we can’t answer straight away please leave a message and we will call you back.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will respond to you the same working day.
- Find us on Facebook –just search for Family Information Service – Gloucestershire and leave us a message.
- Use this directory to look for lots of useful hints, tips and support, simply type in the keyword of a subject you are looking for.
Our contact with you is confidential unless you give us permission to share information with someone else. However, in extreme circumstances such as if the health, safety or welfare of you or someone you tell us about is at significant risk we may need to share. If we need to do this we would always try to speak with you first.
Barnardos See, Hear, Respond
If you are looking for support outside of the Family Information Service operational hours you may be interested in contacting the Barnardos Support Hub. Barnardos See, Hear, Respond is a new service provided across England for children, young people, parents and carers who are experiencing crisis due to Covid 19.
Barnardos project workers can be contacted Monday - Friday 9am-9pm and on Saturday and Sunday 10am-6pm on 0800 157 7015.
Alternatively an online self referral to the service can be completed via https://www.barnardos.org.uk/see-hear-respond
The Triple P Programme have put together some useful information for parents suggesting strategies to support them during this difficult time of isolation. Please look at the two downloads to the left of this page:
- Triple P Guide - Parenting during Covid-19
- Top Parenting Tips
If you have a worry or concern, you can contact your local Children’s Centre, your GP, Community Midwife or Health Visitor (some contact details can be found on this site).
Children's Centre staff are experienced in all aspects of child development, from tantrums and fussy eating to routines and play. You can discuss your worries with a family worker and they will be able to advise you on a course of action, suggest different options or just provide a listening ear.
If you are worried or concerned about your child, there are several organisations who may be able to offer advice and support. A good starting place can sometimes be your child's school as they should be able to signpost you to organisations who can help. Some schools even employ support workers who may be experienced in many aspects of children's lives, such as bullying, health, behaviour, routines, play and more. You do not necessarily have to speak to your child's teacher, but can always ask at reception to speak to any member of staff.
Alternatively you could contact the school nurse or your GP if you felt that would be suitable.