Occupational Therapy - Durham County Council

The Occupational Therapy service carries out functional assessments on individuals with a physical disability to help you to live more independently within your own home.

This may include:

  • changing the technique or way you carry out certain tasks to make them easier for you
  • referring you on to a specialist rehabilitation service who can help you over time to carry out tasks more easily
  • looking at various different types of equipment which may help you complete tasks around the home
  • assessing for minor adaptations to you home, for example, grab rails or handrails to assist you to negotiate the access to your property
  • assessing for major adaptations to your home for example, ramps, stairlifts, or adapted showering or bathing facilities
  • assessing for moving and handling equipment
  • providing you with information and advice on other services which may be able to help you

How do I apply for help?

You will need to have a Care and Support assessment. The Care and Support assessment is a questionnaire which allows you to identify what you think your care and support needs are. You can find a copy on the Get you care needs assessed page on our Locate website.

Who to contact

Contact name
Social Care Direct
03000 267 979

Other details

Referral and availability notes
  • 18-death
  • Disabilities
  • Use Fair Access to Care during assessments

Durham County Council's Families Information Service does not promote nor endorse the services advertised on this website. Anyone seeking to use/access such services does so at their own risk and may make all appropriate enquiries about fitness for purpose and suitability to meet their needs.
Powered by Open Objects