We are a smaller than average primary school located near to Beamish Museum and the A1M.


There is a governor led nursery onsite; who runs morning sessions (9.00am - 12 noon), term time for rising 3s, 3 & 4 year olds.

We provide breakfast club at a cost of 50p - you do not need to book in advance for this and several after school clubs run throughout term time. These activities enhance the curriculum and we would advise against relying on them for childcare purposes. 

When is it on?

Session information
Monday to Friday
9.00am - 3.30pm during term time

Who to contact

Contact name
Ms V Hewison
Contact position
Head Teacher
0191 370 0238

Where to go

West Pelton Primary
Twizell Lane
West Pelton
County Durham

Other details

Related links
Ofsted reports

Local Offer

Local Offer description

For information regarding the SEND school information report please visit our website or contact us.

Contact name
Ms V Hewison
Contact telephone
0191 370 0238
Contact email
SEND page

How do you identify Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)?

How does the setting/school/college know if children/young people need extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?

The school closely monitors how much progress children are making, and they listen to your concerns.

If you come to the school with a concern, they will listen to you and will try to put into place reasonable help to overcome this concern or will explore your concern further.

How will you support my child with their special educational needs and disability?

How will early years setting/school/college staff support my child/young person?

If your child's needs require different or additional support; approaches or time allocation within any area of learning, the school will make all reasonable adjustments to ensure this. 

How will you make sure my child's education meet their needs?

How will the curriculum be matched to my child's young person's needs?

The school must teach a statutory curriculum at certain points in a child's education. However, if your child is not ready for that curriculum or needs additional or different input in one area the school will make all reasonable adjustments to make sure your child gets the right type of curriculum so they can make the next steps in their learning.

How will we know my child is progressing?

How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child's/young person's learning?

The school set outcomes for their SEND children in partnership with you and they are achieved through your support as well as the school's support. These outcomes are small; measurable; achievable; realistic and time bound (SMART). 

The school will make all reasonable attempts to support you by sharing good practise and information.

How will you support my child's overall wellbeing?

What support will there be for my child's/young person's overall wellbeing?

The school is small, and they know their children really well so can make individual judgements about when your child will and will not need additional or different support.  

The school also works in partnership with other professionals e.g. parent support advisor; social services and educational psychology to make sure that your child's overall wellbeing is being well supported.

What specialist services and expertise is available at or accessed by the staff?

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting/school/college?

The school makes sure there is regular staff development and refresher training to keep staff skills and knowledge sharp and make sure provision is good.

The school also work with teams at the local authority e.g. autistic spectrum disorder (ASD) team; educational psychologists, and those from health e.g. health visitors; speech and language (SALT) and doctors to ensure that provision is well focused to meet your child's needs.

How are staff trained regarding SEND?

What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEND have had or are having?

The school regularly review professional development against school priorities; these change year on year.

Last year training included de-escalation; sensory smart classrooms and support for children with cognition and learning difficulties. 

What activities outside the classroom will there be?

How will my child/young person be included in activities outside this classroom including school trips?

The school always tries to include all children in activities outside the classroom; including after school. However, in some cases, they might have to do an assessment of the risk in allowing this to happen. The school have a duty of care to make sure that all children remain safe while in their care and that all children are not put in any danger or undue risk.

How will you support my child's needs?

How accessible is the setting/school/college environment?

The school entrance is easily accessible as are the hall and EYFS/Y1 area. There are a set of stairs leading to the Key Stage 2 area. The school is a split level site.

My child is going to be starting or leaving soon, how will you help them?

How will the setting/school/college prepare and support my child/young person to join the setting/school/college or the next stage of education and life?

The school will always talk to you before your child arrives and put in place a plan for introducing them to the school or when moving between classes.  The school work closely with other schools to do the same. This is part of their transition planning.

What is available to help my child with their education?

How are the setting's/school's/college's resources allocated and matched to children's/young people's special educational needs?

The school bases this on the needs of the child and what needs to be done to make reasonable adjustments to ensure children are safe, happy and can progress. There is an allocation for each child no matter of need called the annual pupil weighting (AWPU) and a notional SEND budget that can be used for the purpose of staff development, resourcing and specific adult support. All provision must be reasonable to the school and will involve you at the planning stage. 

What support can I expect for my child?

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?

This depends on what you say; what the school see within school, any other professional advice the school receive and the planning tool that the local authority have devised for various categories of need.

How will I be involved in my child's education?

How are parents involved in the setting/school/college? How can I be involved?

The school involves parents/carers from the very beginning, and you are central to making decisions for your child that are reasonable requests to the school.

If you would like to take your interest further, you can always apply to become a parent governor. Please contact school about this.


Durham County Council's Families Information Service does not promote nor endorse the services advertised on this website. Anyone seeking to use/access such services does so at their own risk and may make all appropriate enquiries about fitness for purpose and suitability to meet their needs.

Journey planner

Address: Twizell Lane  West Pelton  Stanley  County Durham

Powered by Open Objects