Guide Dogs for the Blind Association

Guide Dogs' Building Extraordinary Partnership Strategy exists to enable more blind and partially sighted people to get out and about on their own terms. Losing your sight shouldn't mean losing your independence. Whatever challenges you face in getting around on your own terms we're here to help find a solution that is right for you, either through one of our own services or connecting you to another organisation we work with in your area. 

We provide a range of services to help children and young people (0-25 years), and their families:

  • habilitation
  • family support
  • educational support
  • access technology
  • recreational activities
  • Custom Eyes large print

Our My Guide volunteers are specially trained with the skills and understanding to get you out and about with confidence. We'll work with you to understand what you want to do and match you with a volunteer who can help you to go out regularly. My Guide is available to anyone over 18 who is blind or partially sighted and who wants to get out and about, whether or not you want to have a guide dog.

We are able to provide support to people with sight loss throughout their lives for as long as they need it.

When is it on?

Time of day
Session information
Monday to Friday 9.00am - 5.00pm

Who to contact

0345 143 0220

Charity number 209617

Where to go

Park View House
Front Street
Newcastle upon Tyne

Other details

Cost description
Movement matters (habilitation) - please contact us for details
Family support - free
Education support - free
Technology - free
Custom Eyes Books - standard RRP per book.
Referral and availability notes

All Guide Dog services work together and also refer internally. Children and young people do not need to have a certificate of visual impairement (CVI) to receive our services but must have some form of sight loss.

Referral for guide dog assessment:

  • self referral
  • advocate
  • family
  • agencies

Referral for Guide Dogs Children and Young People's Service can be made through the following:

  • parents/family
  • schools
  • voluntary agencies
  • young people's support units
  • GP/Health
  • Independent Living Team
  • or self referral

Durham County Council's Families Information Service does not promote nor endorse the services advertised on this website. Anyone seeking to use/access such services does so at their own risk and may make all appropriate enquiries about fitness for purpose and suitability to meet their needs.

Journey planner

Address: Front Street  Benton  Newcastle upon Tyne 

Powered by Open Objects