Hunwick Primary School

Hunwick Primary is a Durham County Council Community school with 156 children on roll. We are a friendly, successful school situated in the centre of the pleasant Wear Valley village of Hunwick.

Our school consists of seven classrooms, all of which surround a quad area. Play areas have been developed and provide the children with a choice of activities at playtimes. They include a play trail, various line markings for games, a train and even a pirate ship! The large playing field is extremely popular with the children and it is used constantly during good weather.

We have developed areas of the field to include a poly tunnel in which we grow vegetables, an environmental trail which includes a bog garden, wildlife zone with seating and a very popular bird hide. Our Early Years outside area is enclosed and provides many opportunities for outdoor learning in the Reception Class.

We continually strive for excellence; recent awards include:

  • Basic Skills Award in recognition of high standards in English and Mathematics
  • Artsmark - Silver
  • Schools Games - Silver

We are committed to continuous improvement for the benefit of your children and the whole community. Our vision is for a school at the heart of the community, where we strive for quality, enjoyment and success for all.

When is it on?

Time of day
Session information
KS1 Monday to Friday 8.55am - 3.10pm
KS2 Monday to Friday 8.55am - 3:15pm

Who to contact

Contact name
Mr S Joyce
Contact position
01388 602 150
Hunwick Primary School

Where to go

Church Lane
County Durham
DL15 0JX

Other details

Referral required?
Related links
Ofsted reports

Local Offer

Local Offer description

At Hunwick Primary School we recognise that all pupils are entitled to a quality of provision that will enable them to achieve their potential. We believe in positive intervention, removing barriers to learning, raising expectations and levels of achievement and working in partnership with other agencies in order to provide a positive educational experience for all our pupils including those with a special educational need or disability.

We recognise there are particular groups of pupils whose circumstances require additional consideration by those who work with them to support their SEND. Mr Joyce is the Designated Teacher for Looked after Children who works closely with Mrs Barker, Deputy Headteacher, to ensure all teachers in school understand the implications for those children who are looked after and have SEND.

We ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs make the best possible progress.

Our Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator is Mr Joyce. Our Special Educational Needs Governor is Mrs Gray.

Contact name
Mr S Joyce
Contact telephone
01388 602 150
Contact email
SEND at Hunwick Primary School

How do you identify Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)?

How does the setting/school/college know if children/young people need extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?

The first person to identify that a child has special educational needs may be:

  • yourself as parent or carer
  • the class Teacher 
  • a Health Visitor
  • another medical professional

If it seems that your child may have special educational needs, your child’s class teacher or the Special Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) will assess: 

  • What your child is good at and what they need help with.
  • What your child would benefit from learning.
  • How best to help your child learn. Information about your child’s targets and any extra support they receive at school may be recorded on a Special Educational Need Support Plan and Provision Map.

How will you support my child with their special educational needs and disability?

How will early years setting/school/college staff support my child/young person?

Children thought to have special educational needs with be placed on the school's special educational needs register and receive different levels of support according to their needs. The graduated response begins with Quality First teaching, where the curriculum within the classroom is differentiated and children have different levels of tasks to complete.

If necessary, children will have a Special Educational Needs Support Plan which outlines your child's/young person's targets and any extra support they receive at school. The Support Plan often places the young person in a small focus group, run by the class teacher or teaching assistant. The length of time of this intervention will vary according to need, but will generally be for a term. The interventions will be regularly reviewed by all involved to ascertain the effectiveness of the provision made and to inform future planning.

If necessary, and your child's needs are very complex and/or severe, the school may ask the council to carry out an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan. This is a very detailed assessment of the child/young person's needs, involving you as carers as well as a range of professionals, in order to compile reports as to the needs of the child. If an Education, Health and Care Plan is issued, the school must meet the requirements, usually equating to adult support for the child for at least 50% of the school day.

The level of support received by your child/young person may change throughout their time at school. School staff will speak to you if they think this should happen and will ask for your opinion about it.

If a pupil needs more expert support from an outside agency, such as the Speech and Language Therapy Team, a referral will be made, with parental/carer consent and forwarded to the most appropriate agency. After a series of assessments, a programme of support is usually provided to the school and parents/carers.

How will you make sure my child's education meet their needs?

How will the curriculum be matched to my child's young person's needs?

Children learn and develop in different ways. Teachers recognise this and use different teaching styles and resources, as well as planning different levels of work in the classroom to cater for the various ways children learn. Children will have adult support within the classroom when tasks require. However, at times, children may need extra help and may be withdrawn by a teaching assistant to work on specific skills as an individual or as part of a small group. The use of the Special Educational Needs Support Plan, written specifically for individual children, will include short term targets linked to the child's needs.

How will we know my child is progressing?

How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child's/young person's learning?

You will be able to discuss your child’s progress at Parent's Evenings as well as specially arranged meetings to review SEN Support Plans. Appointments can be made to speak in more detail to the class teacher or SENCo by visiting the school office. 

How will you support my child's overall wellbeing?

What support will there be for my child's/young person's overall wellbeing?

We offer a wide variety of pastoral support for pupils who are encountering emotional difficulties. These include: Members of staff such as the class teacher, Teaching Assistants (TAs) and SENCO, are readily available for pupils who wish to discuss issues and concerns.

If a pupil has a medical need, then a detailed Care Plan is compiled with support from the school nurse in consultation with parents/carers. These are discussed with all staff who are involved with the pupil. Staff receive asthma and epipen training, delivered by the school nurse.

Where necessary, and in agreement with parents/carers, medicines are administered in school but only where a signed Medicine consent form is in place to ensure the safety of both child and staff member. 

What specialist services and expertise is available at or accessed by the staff?

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting/school/college?

At times it may be necessary to consult with outside agencies to receive their more specialised expertise. The agencies used by the school include:

  • Autism, Communication and Cognition and Learning Teams
  • Educational Psychologist
  • Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS)
  • Sensory Service to support pupils with hearing/visual Impairment
  • Social Services
  • SALT (Speech and Language Therapy)
  • Treetops (Occupational Therapy)
  • Bishop Auckland Hospital (Paediatricians)
  • School Nurse
  • PSA (Parental Support Advisor)

An Educational Psychologist (EP) is allocated to each school. He/she would normally only work directly with pupils whose needs are felt to be quite considerable and have not responded well to the interventions previously put in place for them. The aim of an EP involvement is to gain an understanding of and try to resolve a pupil’s difficulties. To help understand the pupil’s educational needs better, the psychologist will generally meet with the parent and give feedback after the assessment has been completed. He/she will offer advice to the school and parent/carers on how to best support the pupil in order to take their learning forward.

How are staff trained regarding SEND?

What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEND have had or are having?

Different members of staff have received training related to SEND. Staff training has included sessions on:

  • How to support pupils on the autistic spectrum.
  • How to support pupils with social and emotional needs. How to support pupils with speech and language difficulties.
  • How to support pupils with physical and co-ordination needs.  

What activities outside the classroom will there be?

How will my child/young person be included in activities outside this classroom including school trips?

Activities and school trips are available to all. Risk assessments are carried out and procedures are put in place to enable all children to participate. However, if it is deemed that an intensive level of one-to-one support is required, a parent or carer may be asked to accompany their child during the activity. 

How will you support my child's needs?

How accessible is the setting/school/college environment?

As a school we are happy to discuss individual access requirements. Facilities we have at present include:

  • Ramps in school to make the building accessible to all.
  • A toilet adapted for disabled users.

The school's accessibility plan can be viewed on the website.

What is available to help my child with their education?

How are the setting's/school's/college's resources allocated and matched to children's/young people's special educational needs?

If a child has an Education, Health and Care Plan, resources necessary are outlined and the Senior Leadership Team will work alongside staff to ensure that these resources are available - this may be staffing to support the child, as well as physical resources and specialist equipment.

The use of Special Educational Need Support Plans for individual pupils will help class teachers organise specific resources and intervention for small groups of children.

What support can I expect for my child?

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?

These decisions are made in consultation with class teacher and Senior Leadership Team. Decisions are based upon termly tracking of pupil progress and as a result of assessments by outside agencies, including details given in Education, Health and Care Plans.

During their school life, if further concerns are identified due to the pupil’s lack of progress or wellbeing, then other interventions will be arranged.

How will I be involved in my child's education?

How are parents involved in the setting/school/college? How can I be involved?

All parents/carers are encouraged to contribute to their child’s education. This may be through:

  • Discussions with the class teacher during parents evenings and organised meetings for discussing your child’s SEN Support Plan.
  • During discussions with Miss Ross or other professionals.

Parents/carers are encouraged to comment on their child’s SEN Support Plan with possible suggestions that could be incorporated. 

My child is going to be starting or leaving soon, how will you help them?

How will the setting/school/college prepare and support my child/young person to join the setting/school/college or the next stage of education and life?

Many strategies are in place to enable the pupil’s transition to be as smooth as possible. These include:

  • Discussions between the previous or receiving schools prior to the pupil joining/leaving.
  • All pupils attend a Transition session where they spend some time with their new class teacher.
  • Additional visits can also be arranged for pupils who need extra time in their new school.
  • Miss Ross is always willing to meet parents/carers prior to their child joining the school.
  • Secondary school staff visit pupils prior to them joining their new school.
  • Miss Ross liaises with the SENCOs from the secondary schools to pass on information regarding SEN pupils. Where a pupil may have more specialised needs, a separate meeting may be arranged with Miss Ross, the secondary school SENCO, the parents/carers and where appropriate, the pupil. 

Durham County Council's Families Information Service does not promote nor endorse the services advertised on this website. Anyone seeking to use/access such services does so at their own risk and may make all appropriate enquiries about fitness for purpose and suitability to meet their needs.
  • Hunwick Primary School

Journey planner

Address: Church Lane  Hunwick  Crook  County Durham

Powered by Open Objects