Emergency Support

Support in a carer emergency is available to all unpaid carers who care for adults. If you have an emergency situation the service makes sure that the person you help care for is safe, and their care needs are met.

How do I register?

There is no need to register in advance for support in a carer emergency.

How does it work?

In an emergency, you need to call Social Care Direct on 03000 267 979. They will transfer you to a Duty Officer who will ask you for a few details such as your name and address and information on the person you care for.

The Duty Officer will:

-   check if there are any family or friends that can assist in case of emergency.

-   if family or friends can't be contacted, will send a care assistant to provide care/support to the person you care for.

-    contact the person you care for and inform him/her of what has happened (if that is appropriate).

-   keep you informed of the outcome if possible.

Who provides the service?

Support in a carer emergency is delivered by Supportive through the Short Term Assistance Service.

Please note that, while initial support in a carers emergency is provided free of charge, should an ongoing service be required you may be required to contribute to the cost, in line with the Council's charging policy. The Duty Officer or a relevant social work team will discuss this with you, should ongoing service be required.

Who to contact

Contact name
The Carers Emergency Support Service
0330 088 2367

Other details

Cost description
This is a free service, they do not petition any users of the service for money.
Referral and availability notes

For those who care for an adult in County Durham and/or Darlington.


Durham County Council's Families Information Service does not promote nor endorse the services advertised on this website. Anyone seeking to use/access such services does so at their own risk and may make all appropriate enquiries about fitness for purpose and suitability to meet their needs.
Powered by Open Objects