We are a small village primary school with two mixed age classes. We are set between the villages of Cowshill and Ireshopeburn, in Upper Weardale, an area of outstanding natural beauty.

Wearhead is a happy and friendly school that captures a life-long love of learning. We want to encourage children to fulfil their individual potential in a safe and secure environment. We are very proud of our Outstanding Ofsted award.

When is it on?

Session information
Monday to Friday 8.55am - 3.15pm

Who to contact

Contact name
Tim Hiley
Contact position
Head Teacher
01388 537 265

Where to go

Wearhead Primary School
Bents Lane
Bishop Auckland
County Durham
DL13 1BN

Other details

Related links
Ofsted reports

Local Offer

Local Offer description







Contact name
Tim Hiley
Contact telephone
01388 537 265
Contact email
SEND at Wearhead Primary

How do you identify Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)?

How does the setting/school/college know if children/young people need extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?

We aim to identify children who have any difficulties as soon as possible so that appropriate support can be given from an early age. Full use is made of information passed to us when a child transfers from early education provision and we use assessments during the Foundation Stage to identify pupils and any difficulties they may have (observations on entry, Foundation Stage Profile, Speech and Language Link, teacher assessment/observation).

Other methods used by teachers to identify pupils with SEN are:

  • Discussion with parent/carer to see if they have noticed anything/have any concerns.
  • Ongoing teacher assessment and observation.
  • Progress against the Early Learning Goals in the Foundation Stage.
  • Progress against literacy and numeracy objectives.
  • Performance against National Curriculum age appropriate expectations.
  • Standardised screening or assessment tasks, for example AR Tests.
  • Results from SATs (end of Years 2 and 6).

How will you support my child with their special educational needs and disability?

How will early years setting/school/college staff support my child/young person?

Examples of the type of support which may be provided may be as follows, but will depend on the nature of the child’s needs:

  • Differentiation of work in class (and homework).
  • Some additional small group or individual support with a teacher or support staff.
  • Additional resources for example word banks, number squares, use of commercial schemes.
  • Teaching activities to be adapted to the preferred learning style of the child, for example a multi sensory, practical approach or use of visual cues.
  • Use of ICT to support learning.
  • Individual behaviour systems/charts.
  • Adaptation of the Curriculum or classroom.
  • Interventions to support specific difficulties (ie dyslexia, dyspraxia).

How will you make sure my child's education meet their needs?

How will the curriculum be matched to my child's young person's needs?

If it seems that your child may have special educational needs, your child’s class teacher or the Special Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) will assess:

  • what your child is good at and what they need help with
  • what your child would benefit from learning
  • how best to help your child learn

Once provision is identified, time is allocated to individuals or groups to best suit their learning style, ability and need.

This is monitored and can be changed once the impact is assessed.

Monitoring and Tracking of children with SEND is through the same methods as identification. Assessment is ongoing. Identified needs are evaluated and discussed in light of assessment results and through staff discussion. 

How will we know my child is progressing?

How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child's/young person's learning?

Regular reviews and discussions plus scrutiny of child's work and asessment scores will monitor progress. Review meetings, plus regular parental contact will ensure this. A parent will support their child via homework school providing appropriate resources and regular review meetings.

How will you support my child's overall wellbeing?

What support will there be for my child's/young person's overall wellbeing?

Availability of all teaching staff to the child when required. This may be to speak of a worry or concern or to share positive progress at home and at school.

What specialist services and expertise is available at or accessed by the staff?

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting/school/college?
  • School Educational Psychologist team
  • South Durham Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS)
  • Health agencies
  • Learning Difficulties and Disability Support Service
  • Medical Practitioners support
  • Occupational Therapy service for children
  • Barnard Castle One Point Children's Service (First Contact)
  • School Nurse service
  • Speech and Language Therapists
  • Family Initiative Supporting Children’s Health (FISCH)
  • IASS support

Through the  Community of Learning 15 (CoL) we have additional access to:

  • Counsellors
  • Educational Psychology
  • Parent Support Advisors
  • Speech and Language Therapists

How are staff trained regarding SEND?

What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEND have had or are having?

Both teaching and support staff are involved in regular training to support the work they do with children with SEND. This includes having sound knowledge of, for example, dealing with communication difficulties, children on the autistic spectrum and dyslexia.

Specific training to deliver interventions has included:

  • Indicative Provision Guidance (identifying level of need)
  • Introduction to Speech, Language & Communication (SALT)
  • Working with children’s Speech & Language difficulties
  • SALT – Classroom Strategies
  • Team Teach training has been accessed
  • De-escalation strategies
  • Numicon assessments
  • Behaviour Support Service
  • South Durham Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS)
  • School Nurse service
  • Occupational Health service
  • One Point Hub      

What activities outside the classroom will there be?

How will my child/young person be included in activities outside this classroom including school trips?

We always have staff availability both in and out of school. organised in advance of a trip so a child knows where they are going and what they will be doing which is out of the ordinary.  A plan B approach is adopted regarding changing situations.

How will you support my child's needs?

How accessible is the setting/school/college environment?

Our school is accessible to all of its users. Support will be provided by staff for visitors/pupils with disabilities.

The curriculum can be modified for those who require it. 

All rooms have blinds and there is an accessible toilet area.


My child is going to be starting or leaving soon, how will you help them?

How will the setting/school/college prepare and support my child/young person to join the setting/school/college or the next stage of education and life?

Much transition work is in place between ourselves and our feeder secondary schools. Taster days, open evenings, summer schools,  nuture group support, individual appointments to look around Year 7 school and meet staff apart from an open evening.

What is available to help my child with their education?

How are the setting's/school's/college's resources allocated and matched to children's/young people's special educational needs?

The school can and does apply for 'top up funding' from the Local Authority. This, if successful, is then used to directly support that specific child. That can be in the form of extra staffing - if top up funding is substantial - or particular resources possibly recommended by specialist services we may be working with.

What support can I expect for my child?

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?

In joint discussions with staff and parents/carers. Class observation may reveal that extra 'first quality teaching' is required. If after intervention has not narrowed the gap that external advice and support may be sought.

How will I be involved in my child's education?

How are parents involved in the setting/school/college? How can I be involved?

Through regular weekly newsletters; invitations to 'special events' ie assemblies and performances; parent/teacher consultations; 'Open Door' policy; small and informal family atmosphere.


Durham County Council's Families Information Service does not promote nor endorse the services advertised on this website. Anyone seeking to use/access such services does so at their own risk and may make all appropriate enquiries about fitness for purpose and suitability to meet their needs.

Journey planner

Address: Bents Lane  Wearhead  Bishop Auckland  County Durham

Powered by Open Objects