Using the Website and Getting Started

What to do if you think your child may have special educational needs

1. Overview

Special educational needs (SEN) that affect a child's ability to learn can include their:
  • behaviour or ability to socialise, eg not being able to make friends
  • reading and writing, eg they have dyslexia
  • ability to understand things
  • concentration levels, eg they have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
  • physical needs or impairments

2. Who to talk to

If you think your child may have special educational needs, contact the ‘SEN co-ordinator’, or ‘SENCO’ in your child’s school or nursery.

If you wish to discuss your child's needs with a Lead Education Officer, please contact the SEND Teams at:

Area: Name: Telephone Number:
Carlisle & Eden Galina Murray 01228 226843
Allerdale & Copeland Denise Lowden 01946 506211
Barrow & South Lakes Helen Beach 01229 407403
Interpreting & Translation Service Allyson Carty 07554 438474

Our Cumbria SEND Information, Advice and Support Service  (formerly Parent Partnership) can also give you advice about SEN.

Links to Other Local Authority's Local Offers

3. Support your child can receive

Your child maybe eligible for:
  • SEN Support - support given in school, eg speech therapy
  • An education, health and care plan (EHC) - a plan of care for children and young people aged up to 25 who have more complex needs.
  • If you or your child received support before September 2014 this will continue until your Council changes to SEN supportor an EHC plan.



Powered by Open Objects