What is the Local Offer?

The Local Offer aims to pull information about available services into one place and make it clear and accessible for you and your family.  A Local Offer gives children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities and their families information about what support services the local authority thinks will be available in their local area.  Every local authority is responsible for writing a Local Offer and making sure it is available for everyone to see.

Who decides what is in the Local Offer?

The new law says that every local authority must talk with children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities and their families to find out what sort of support and services they need.

There will be many different types of services that children and young people may need, including support services in school and specialist health services.

Children, young people and their families may also have ideas about what leisure activities should be available, and what services are needed to help young people move towards independence in adulthood.

Every local authority must have a Local Offer that is available on the internet and must make sure that people without access to the internet can also see it.  The local authority must tell children and young people and their families how they can find out more about the Local Offer.

The local authority will then decide what services to make available.  Every local authority must get feedback on its Local Offer from young people and their families.  They must show what feedback they have been given and say how they are going to make improvements to the Local Offer and services.

A Local Offer should also include information about what transport services are available for children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities and if there is any help available to pay for these services.

You can find out more about the changes to your special educational needs or disability support and the Local Offer by:

  • talking to an impartial information, advice and support service.  You can find contact information here:


  • talking to your family, teachers, tutors and support workers

To help you understand the changes to the law the Council for Disabled Children have created a video, leaflet and poster for four main areas of your SEN and disability support.  These four areas are:

  • Education, Health and Care Plans
  • The Local Offer
  • Post-16 Support
  • Making Decisions


Powered by Open Objects